Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor crashes when I try to replace model reference

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
maarten.fierensBZHUN
2487 Views, 14 Replies

Inventor crashes when I try to replace model reference

Inventor 2021 freezes when i click the "Replace Model Reference" button in an .idw drawing.

This does not occur in the 2020 version.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Can it be fixed?

Thanks

Tags (3)
Labels (3)
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15

Have you narrowed this down to a specific drawing only? Or does it happen even with a simple test part.

Have you applied all updates for Inventor 2021?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 15

Could you please post a sample to reproduce the behavior? If you are worried about confidential data, you can send it to us internally by email, preferably to Johnson.Shiue.

kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald Hochenauer
Senior Principal Engineer, Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 15

Yes, this happens with any drawing.

I have version 2021.1.2, i believe this is the latest. 

Message 5 of 15

What exactly do you need? Because this happens with any drawing.

As soon as I click the "Update Model Reference" button, Inventor freezes and it does not respond to anything.

Message 6 of 15

@maarten.fierensBZHUN wrote:

What exactly do you need? Because this happens with any drawing.

As soon as I click the "Update Model Reference" button, Inventor freezes and it does not respond to anything.

@maarten.fierensBZHUN  Make a simple drawing with a cube and post the idw and ipt file here (zip them up into a zip file before posting)

It could be something related to your template file or it could be something corrupt in your install/specific to your computer setup.. Having your model files will help narrow that down.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 15

Is it possible that the dialog is opening, but is off screen?  After clicking the tool button, type Alt-space, then m, which invokes the window Move command.  Now the window should be attached to your cursor and you can place it where needed.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 8 of 15

Attached you will find the test part

Message 9 of 15

That's what I thought as well, but i can't find it.

I tried the method you described and all I get is the move symbol, but no dialog window.

Message 10 of 15

Turns out it was indeed hidden..

I couldn't find it using the method you described, but when I turned one monitor off.. Poof there it was.

Thanks in any case.

And thank you to all who replied! Means a lot.

Message 11 of 15

Hello,

I've got the same problem as maarten.fierensBZHUN except that I can't find the window either using your method with Alt Space + M or pluging off my second monitor.

Inventor freezes whenever I click the "Replace Model Reference" button. I noticed that it unfreezes when I press the "Escape" button.

I'm using Inventor 2022.3.1

Message 12 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: vivien_a

Hi Vivien,

The behavior is wrong. Inventor should never crash or hang. This is usually file-specific. If possible, please share the files (zipped) with me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to understand it better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 13 of 15
gdes5AAAR

This happens to me but the window to select the replace modle never appears and Inventor freezes have to kill task to recover the computer.  Single monitor only too so the window should be visible we us 2023 version too.

Message 14 of 15
johnsonshiue
in reply to: gdes5AAAR

Hi! This issue may not be the same as the original thread. Your crash is probably more related to display option or incomplete install. Try the followings and see if it helps.

1) Make sure all critical Windows updates are installed and the graphics driver is updated.

2) Go to Windows Display settings -> select the recommended resolution and scale.

3) Right-click on the Inventor desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> Change High DPI settings -> check both boxes.

4) Install 2023.3 update.

5) If nothing above helps, you may need to uninstall Inventor 2023 and then reinstall it and 2023.3 update.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 15 of 15
per_kallberg

Hi @johnsonshiue @gdes5AAAR @vivien_a 

I had the exact same issue and used the Inventor Reset Utility. This solved my issue, hope it works for you as well.

//Per

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report