Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor Countersunk Screw Reduce Constrain Amount and Remove Degree of Freedom

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Manuelcamposcosta
447 Views, 8 Replies

Inventor Countersunk Screw Reduce Constrain Amount and Remove Degree of Freedom

Does anyone know how to reduce the constrains used when constraining a countersunk screw?

The only way I know is to use concentric then tangent and an angle to remove rotation.

Anyway even with this 3 constrains Inventor is giving me one degree of freedom, does anyone know how to solve? Or is it a bug?

I don't want to take measurements and create an insert constrain.

Manuelcamposcosta_0-1666174162365.png

Manuel Campos Costa
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Worked for me here in 2022.3 (see attached):

Galaxybane_0-1666191181473.png

Message 3 of 9

I'm not having the same result. See my files. 2022.3.2

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 4 of 9

Seems like your assembly is glitched. If you copy and paste the parts into a new assembly the DoF will not show the green arrow anymore. Same constraints kept in place.
Message 5 of 9

@johnsonshiue would you be interested to have a look?

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 6 of 9

Hi Manuel and Gabriel,

I think this is due to the Tangent constraint. I personally would use Tangent constraint only when it is absolutely necessary. The issue with Tangent constraint is that tangency can lead to multiple solutions. Also, the constraint can be solved between two base faces (full cone, full sphere, full cylinder, and full torus). You could see some strange behavior as if two components don't touch each other but still constrained tangentially.

The better constraint to use in this case is called Cylindrical Face Mate. It is still the Mate constraint by instead of selecting the axes, select the cone faces.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 9

@johnsonshiue What?!! I didn't know you could select other things when using mate, yes it did work and it requires one less contrain. Fantastic!

What other constrain types there is this possibility?

Manuel Campos Costa
Message 8 of 9

Hi Manuel,

Many thanks for confirming the solution! This particular Mate type is a bit obscure. It is because the primary selection to a cylinder is always the center axis. Also, for cylindrical (conical) face Mate to work, the mating faces have to have the same radius (diameter) value. Otherwise, it will not work.

I think this is a case that overloading a command can lead to some confusion.

Thanks again!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 9
SBix26
in reply to: Manuelcamposcosta

Slight correction to @johnsonshiue 's last post: for countersunk (conical) holes, the angle must match, not the diameter.  Diameters can be very different, but as long as the angles are the same, it will constrain.

SBix26_0-1666730811414.png  SBix26_1-1666730891694.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report