Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2023 material/parts list

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
jason_mcowenPBP7J
905 Views, 20 Replies

Inventor 2023 material/parts list

Good Morning,

First a bit of background info before I continue with my current issue. My previous company was using Inventor 2020 release which appeared to work great. Now I'm with a new company who were using another cad package that differed from their sister company overseas (also Inventor). I explained to them that using the same package would save time and money and recently got them to purchase Inventor 2023. 

Now here's the kicker, I am the only engineer type person in the building, I have had to set up Inventor myself (my cad admin knowledge only goes so far), and the company that we purchased the license for wants us to charge for any additional support we require. So, here we are with my next issue.

I created a weldment frame generated model (this is my 2nd weldment since using 2023, which was okay). As our kit is subsea and requires ROV intervention and needs to be light so, hence, I created a Library of aluminium structural members (just box section for now) which inventor doesn't appear to have in its content library. 

For some reason I cannot get the parts list on the first model to appear like the other, the item No. column was blank (initially), every member is is on an individual row and there appears to be too many rows on the parts list compared to what is actually detailed on the model.

Can anyone please tell me why this is happening as its driving me crazy and I don't have enough hours in the day to do my day job just now as it is (sorry to be a pain, again).

Kind regards

J

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

Hi!

Do you mean, you insert new family structural members in Content Center?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 3 of 21

No Sir,

I want to know the reason why a separate line line item has been created for every item on the parts list, when there are some items that are the same length?

Kind Regards

Message 4 of 21

Have you tried right-clicking on that Part List table > BOM ... > Part Number Row Merge Settings ?

Galaxybane_0-1681912310919.png

Another setting to try is right-clicking the Part List table > Edit Part List > Group Settings, to group similar members:

Galaxybane_0-1681912507523.png

Message 5 of 21

Almost there,

I still to show the specific lengths for the SHS details, this update has condensed this to one line.

Kind Regards

J

Message 6 of 21

Doesnt make any sense to have different parts with the same Part Number.

You have to concatenate the part Number, it should be equal to: PART NUMBER= old Part Number + length

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 7 of 21

that isnt what I'm trying to do.

Its a weldment cutlist, different lengths of box section should be on separate lines.

I don't understand why this is a problem, it never used to be like this.

Message 8 of 21
chris
in reply to: jason_mcowenPBP7J

@jason_mcowenPBP7J if you have time for a Zoom call I can show you how to do this a couple different ways

Message 9 of 21
jason_mcowenPBP7J
in reply to: chris

HI Chris 

that would be awesome, I can do a teams call later, as I need to leave office to get the Mrs?

Kind Regards

Jason

Message 10 of 21
chris

@jason_mcowenPBP7J  I believe you are talking about something like this where there is a total linear foot for like materials?

chris_0-1681919274238.png

Message 11 of 21
chris

@jason_mcowenPBP7J 

here's my email:

chris@trinitydesignandfabrication.com

Just let me know when you have 30 minutes or so and I'll send you an invite (make sure to add your email for the invite)

Message 12 of 21
jason_mcowenPBP7J

not really Chris,

If I'm make a  rectangle frame from 3" x 3" shs, the BOM/material/cut list will contain a line item for each length of section. so, 4 off lengths for height (item 1), again 4 off for the sides (item2) and finally 4 off the fore and aft members (item 3).

Sorry if I'm being dumb, but im pretty sure inventor can display this info?

Kind Regards

Jason

Message 13 of 21
chris

FYI for whoever was following this, what @jason_mcowenPBP7J was looking for was a combined qty. of "re-used" frame members within his structure, so he just needed to group the Qty. in the BOM 

Message 14 of 21
jason_mcowenPBP7J

Okay,

What I think the issue might be is something to do with using custom frame generator member profiles. I started the Weldment Assembly again, but used frame members from the content centre and the Parts list created from the frame is what I'm looking for. So not sure how to proceed from here, I may just have to modify an existing member to suit. I will leave this post open if anyone has any other ideas on how to resolve this.

Many Thanks

Jason

Message 15 of 21

Probably the custom profile table is not setup properly.

Message 16 of 21
CCarreiras
in reply to: Frederick_Law

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Probably the custom profile table is not setup properly.

That's what I said above, but nobody listened... the part number is not set to give the proper Part number for different elements.
The G_L parameter needs to go to the Part number.

In frames, the part number should be: Stock Number + G_L parameter (length).

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 17 of 21

Sorry,

I didnt understand what you were trying to explain in your response (getting late here now), but, I wasnt using any properties related to the part number. When I created the weldment frame again, I didnt need to go into any settings and change anything, it just worked off the bat.

Bed time for now, nn and thanks again

Message 18 of 21

You published some custom frames at the Content Center, and you are placing the components from the Content Center, correct?

you are comparing two models, one created with standard Content Center frames, and the other created with your custom Content Center members... is this correct?

CCarreiras

EESignature

Message 19 of 21

Good Morning 🙂

yes, in the weldment assembly there is a custom profile (aluminium profile box section) and the profile from content centre (round Bar) which makes up the frame design.

Kind Regards

Jason

Message 20 of 21

Before  publish a "profile part>" in content center, it needs to went for the authoring step.
Did you Author the frame part before publishing it in the content center?

ccarreiras_0-1681986194800.png

CCarreiras

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report