Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2022 Application Settings Units keep reverting to inches

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
johnstehlePXKRS
450 Views, 7 Replies

Inventor 2022 Application Settings Units keep reverting to inches

After I change the units in Application options - file - configure default template  from inches to millimetres and close the application, when i start the application again it goes back to inches which is very annoying.,

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Reboot your PC and try again or just make sure there is no other Inventor process running in parallel when you make this change and close it.
Check the location where your default template is and if you have permissions to write/edit there When you change the units it should alert you that it will overwrite the template file, and if that file is not editable, your changes will not be saved/stick.

Galaxybane_0-1647660716870.png

Message 3 of 8
pcrawley
in reply to: johnstehlePXKRS

Hi @johnstehlePXKRS 

Depending on your setup, you may not be able to overwrite the templates.  It is not uncommon for I.T people to hide/protect certain folders from misuse/hacking etc.  Often this includes useful locations like the default location for Inventor's templates.  Once you know where your templates are, you can copy them somewhere editable and make the changes you need.

Check the template location - the default is specified here:

01.jpg

It may be overridden by the Project you are working on:

02.jpg

The Project file overrides the Application Options.  Hover the mouse over the "Templates" path to see the full location.

Once you know where your templates are, you can move them somewhere editable, open them, and set the units (in Document Settings > Units).  

Resist the temptation to rename the templates if you want these shortcuts to work:

03.jpg

Peter
Message 4 of 8

Just to clarify as well, 'default templates' aren't necessarily the ones you use every day. They are the ones it uses if you import STEP data, or anywhere else where it's making a derive or conversion without giving you a choice of templates. If you've got custom templates that you normally use, it won't go through those templates and change the units in them, you need to open the templates separately and change them in the document settings. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 8

Thanks all for your advice. I think between you all, it inspired me to find a partial resolution as follows....

I found the standard.ipt, standard.iam, standard.idw and standard.dwg templates in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Autodesk\Inventor 2022\Templates\en-US and opened them, modified the units settings, then saved and closed them. So, now when i start a new part, assembly or drawing, the units are in millimetres from the beginning, which is good news.

However, when i try to change other Application Options they don't seem to stick still. Can someone please advise where exactly i can find the associated application template file and how i might edit it?

Message 6 of 8
JDMather
in reply to: johnstehlePXKRS

@johnstehlePXKRS wrote:

However, when i try to change other Application Options they don't seem to stick…

The obvious question, “What other Application Options?”

Shift Win S and Ctrl v in Reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 7 of 8

Basically all of the Application options. My workaround just modified the standard.* template in terms of document settings.

So, for example i would like to turn of the constraint inference option in the sketch options, as per below, but it doesn't stick.

johnstehlePXKRS_0-1648771453495.png

Message 8 of 8

Hi John,

I suspect this is a Windows user profile issue. Somehow Inventor isn't allowed to save App option change to the xml file. Go to File Explorer and type in %AppData%\Autodesk. Find the Inventor release folder. There should be "UserApplicationOptions.xml." Look at the last save date.

Maybe your user profile prevents Inventor from writing to this location. Try "Running as Admin."

Many thnaks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report