Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2018 Cannot View Part Preview In File Explorer - Extension ID Too Long

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1063 Views, 4 Replies

Inventor 2018 Cannot View Part Preview In File Explorer - Extension ID Too Long

Split From Reference Thread: Inventor 2018 causing Windows File Explorer Crash (Win7 & Win10)

As I start to use Inventors for about 1-2 hours, I can not view (the preview pictures) my parts and assemblies in file explorer.

Then as I try open any other file in Microsoft word or Excel or any other windows application, I get an error message that the file name or the file extension id too long.  After that all hell starts to freeze. 

Inventor does not crash like it typically crashed.  That happened once or twice which did send the message automatically to Autodesk.

The only way I can start to function is to restart my computer.  The it is only good for another 1-2 hours.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. It sounds more like a system level issue but I can be wrong. If I were you I would do the followings.

1) Go to %temp% and delete as many files as you can.

2) Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> find Autodesk Inventor Professional 20xx -> right-click -> Uninstall/Change -> Repair Install.

3) Go to All Programs -> Autodesk -> Autodesk Inventor Professional 20xx -> Tools -> Inventor Reset Utility.

Please report back your findings.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 5
MSD_takaseh

Hello iraj.gashgaee,

Please try the followings other than Johnson suggested.

1. Check if you are using a certified graphics card and driver with the following site and if you are using a certified card but not certified driver then apply the certified driver..

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534

2. If you are using uncertifird card then apply the latest driver.

3. If the you don't yet apply the latest service pack/update for Inventor then please apply.

Hitoshi Takase
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: MSD_takaseh

Thank you for your reply.

My graphics card is NVIDIA K220O.

The graphics card drivers that came up do not include NVIDIA K2200.  however there is driver for NVIDIA K2000.

Can I install the NVIDIA K2000 driver?

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Download latest driver: 

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/130642/en-us

Just released yesterday.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report