Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2017 Won't Launch

44 REPLIES 44
SOLVED
Message 1 of 45
Anonymous
26853 Views, 44 Replies

Inventor 2017 Won't Launch

I need help, Autodesk Inventor 2017 will not launch on my pc.

I would double click the shortcut on my desktop, or directly double click inventor.exe, but the software wouldn't go beyond the first pop-up.

The loading bar of the pop-up won't move no matter how many hours I keep the pc on.

Autodesk Vault and the Desktop App that came with Inventor works fine, but Inventor just won't launch.

I restarted my pc several times, and also repair installed inventor. I am yet to uninstall and reinstall the whole thing because that took a while, but if I have nothing else left I will do so.

It might have to do something with Windows 10? Or the new RAM I installed to this laptop? I'm not sure and I'm just throwing out ideas, if you have any suggestions please help me.

Did anyone have the same problem? If so, please help me solve this. Thank you.

44 REPLIES 44
Message 21 of 45
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

"Side by Side install w/ 2015" Not sure what you mean here..  Are you have issues launching Inventor 2015 or 2017?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 22 of 45
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

Also in the future..  Please do not create multiple posting of the same thing (http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/inventor-need-to-register-with-operating-system/m-p/6864379/highlight/false#M630390)  Create one posting and we will assist you.  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 23 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

We have been running 2015 for a couple years, no problem.

Installed 2017 to get ready for Vault workgroup upgrade.

2017 Inventor will not launch unless as administrator.

We always pre install the new version so that we can switch over immediately after the Vault is updated.

However, 2017 will not launch. We cannot wait to install new version until the day of upgrade because the bloated installation takes up to 1.5 Hours Yikes(unacceptable in my opinion)

Sometimes it errors, sometimes says "inventor needs to register with the operating system.

Other posts say run/register as Administrator then run as user, this solution does not work.

Also tied deleting the HKEY/Current_users ... /Current version reg entry. no good

Message 24 of 45
Mark.Lancaster

Not sure if you did this steps or not but for a test please do this..

1.  Exit Inventor

2.  If you are using Win 7, select the Win start button and in the search field type CMD (but do not hit an enter).

3.  If you are using Win 8/8.1 or 10, Ask Cortana and type CMD (but do not hit an enter).

4.  When the command prompt appears in the list, right mouse click and select run as admin.

5.  Navigate to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Inventor 2017\Bin

6.  Type Inventor.exe /install

7.  Wait a few mins and restart Inventor.

Report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

Message 25 of 45
Anonymous

Sorry, I followed all the instructions, same result. Splash screen flashes then error. I did send the error report to Autodesk.

Another note. I created a new domain user, logged into a test machine and launched 2017 "before" launching 2015 and it works fine. However, all of my systems have already had Inventor 2015 launch previously.

Message 26 of 45
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

If you're seeing the Inventor crash report please private message me and I will tell you, your next step..  Smiley Wink

Mark Lancaster

Message 27 of 45
pdxmcad

Patrick,

Can you tell me the email address you entered into the crash report?  Send a private message if you don't want to post it publicly here.

I see one report in the database which I'm guessing is from you based on its similarity to your login name here.   For that report, it shows that the original 2017 release was installed but none of the service packs were installed.   The crash is something that was fixed with the first service pack, so if you install the available patches my guess is that you will be able to launch Inventor 2017.

Mike Dickason
Inventor Development
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 28 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: pdxmcad

I did install R3 on one of the systems, but still no success.

The issue only appears if the user has already launched 2015 before 2017.

A new test user that launches 2017 first does not show the symptom.

So now we are thinking profiles and Current_User issues. any thoughts where to start?

Message 29 of 45
pdxmcad

Send in all crash reports, and let me know what email address you are entering into the reports.   Looking at your specific crash report is going to be my best chance at providing advice.   Anything else is just going to be a guess.

Mike Dickason
Inventor Development
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 30 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: pdxmcad

Just sent another crash report. This time it crashes on install, different machine.

Terrible program! Bloated installation, needs work

Message 31 of 45
Anonymous

I can't open setup.exe. i comes up as that i dont have inventor.msi. I do have the .msi. Help please?

Message 32 of 45
Anonymous

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'm sorry to dig up this thread but I am experiencing the same issue as the original poster but with Inventor 2018, thus making me unable to use the 001-3 files to correct my issue.

Could someone please post those files for the 2018 version?

Thank you very much

José

Message 33 of 45
Mark.Lancaster

@Anonymous

I assume you are talking about the 3 parts for installing the software..

Download and install per:

1. Access the Autodesk Virtual Agent and follow the download links to your product.

2. Download all of the parts (some applications only have a single part to download) for your product first. Do not continue until all of the parts have fully downloaded.
3. Navigate to your download folder location and extract (double click) part _001_00X.sfx.exe (or the single file download).
4. In a few seconds the extraction will start and prompt you to extract to C:\Autodesk.
5. Once the extraction is finished, the installation will automatically start.
6. Follow the installation steps for your product

However if the installation does fail using this method, please post your installation log file here so we can review it.  Posting info: Sometimes installation log files contain personal information such as your serial #.  Prior to posting your log file please make sure to remove such info.

Good luck on your installation and report back on your progress.

Mark Lancaster

Message 34 of 45
Anonymous

No matter what they tell you...running 2 versions side by side does not work well.

The installation of these products is so poor, it takes over an hour to install.(bad programming) Extremely bloated software.

Upgrading Clients and Vault has become a absolute nightmare for us. The new license model is a joke as well.

Hate to be a wet blanket, but half the threads here just end without resolution.

Autodesk spent all of 25 minutes with me on the phone before giving up and telling us to wipe machines.

Message 35 of 45
Anonymous

Hello,
Thank you for your help Inventor now runs.

I still have a little issue though: I can not activate the product.

Cheers
José

Message 36 of 45
Anonymous

I've solved simply right clicking on the inventor icon and the "run as administrator"
Message 37 of 45
Anonymous

I ran Windows 10 update - there were about 4 to 5 Windows 10 cumulative updates for version 1703.

That fixed the problem for me.

Message 38 of 45
Anonymous

Same problem here. I would double click or right click and run as administrator, nothing would come up. I ran the uninstall program, re-booted and ran setup again. The program came up to the licensing screen. I clicked on the add key screen and it disappeared and never came up again. This is happening on 2 Windows 7 PCs, all running the same image, with the same hardware. It is Inventor 2017 Pro. These computers were all re-imaged this summer and were just starting to be used by students this month.

Message 39 of 45
johnsonshiue

Hi! Have you install 2017.4 update followed by 2017.4.5 update?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 40 of 45
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

hey can you please send me the ;ink to download the 3 zip files?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report