Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2016 - Sketch in drawing - how to edit sketched rectangular pattern?

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
AndyWallace
766 Views, 9 Replies

Inventor 2016 - Sketch in drawing - how to edit sketched rectangular pattern?

I have a drawing where I wanted to show multiple items patterned in a sketch. I created a sketch pattern and discovered I wanted to change the quantity of the pattern. There seems to be no way to edit it, once created! Nor can I delete the pattern, or delete just the patterned sketch shapes. It looks like the only way to fix this is to delete the whole sketch from the drawing and start over.

The edit pattern dialog shows up in a part sketch, but not the drawing sketch. See attached screenshots.

This seems like a bug.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Autodesk Inventor (2016) (3 years)
previously Solidworks (6 years)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: AndyWallace

Pattern of sketch is almost always the incorrect technique.

Pattern Features rather than sketch entities in most cases.

(this is true in Inventor or in SolidWorks)

Having said that,

I was all but certain you could edit the pattern after the fact, but I just tried in r2016 SP0 - and I couldn't do it.

Next try - on r2016 SP1

Edit:

Just tried in 2016 SP 1 and it works there.

Have you installed the Service Pack?

Edit 2:

Hmm, well now I can do it in SP0

not sure why I had trouble on first attempt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

@AndyWallace wrote:
The edit pattern dialog shows up in a part sketch, but not the drawing sketch. See attached screenshots.

Oops - I missed the part of the problem description about this being in drawing sketch.

Edit:

Hmmm, it works for me in part sketch or drawing sketch.

Can you attach file here that exhibits this behavior?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
mcgyvr

You simply have "show constraints" turned on and mouse "focus" is on the constraints and not the patterned elements.

Its working just fine.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 5 of 10
AndyWallace
in reply to: mcgyvr

McGyvr, that's not the case. I have focused on the pattern, if you look at the jpg.

I am running Autodesk Inventor Professional 2016 64-Bit Build 210 SP1 10/13/2015.

The drawing in question was a complicated one where I was trying to show patterns of bond wires in an electronic assembly. The bond wires would exist only in the drawing, not the 3D model, so I did this as a drawing sketch on the view. I wanted to draw two curved wires close together then pattern them at .1" spacing.  I created the rectangular pattern in the sketch then realized I needed seven iterations not six...and could not change it after creating it. 

I've reproduced the problem here and will attach a drawing. If someone else does right click on the pattern glyph and can edit the pattern, then there must be something wacky with my system.

I appreciate the help.

Andy

Andy Wallace
Message 6 of 10
rdyson

I had to first rmb "edit" then I got the "edit pattern" option

Image1.jpg

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 10
mcgyvr

@AndyWallace wrote:

McGyvr, that's not the case. I have focused on the pattern, if you look at the jpg.

I appreciate the help.

Andy

No thats EXACTLY whats happening... and the drawing sketch.jpg proves it as the glyph is highlighted.. 

You may have thought you focused on the pattern but you did not..

Its showing the EXACT dialog you would get when you you are focused on the constraint glyphs..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 8 of 10
AndyWallace

OK, maybe I am just not having luck selecting the right command. (also, for some reason I'm not being notified of replies)

When I select the top line of the leftmost rectangle, this glyph highlights and so do the patterned rectangles. Right mouse button gets me this menu.

RMB_SKETCH_PATTERN.jpg

Andy Wallace
Message 9 of 10
mcgyvr

@AndyWallace wrote:

OK, maybe I am just not having luck selecting the right command. (also, for some reason I'm not being notified of replies)

When I select the top line of the leftmost rectangle, this glyph highlights and so do the patterned rectangles. Right mouse button gets me this menu.

Don't select the line first.. Simply right click on it without selecting it.

There is a difference between "select" and "focus" and each brings up a different dialog..

You need to focus then right click.. not select then right click

Message 10 of 10
AndyWallace

McGyvr - thanks for clarifying.

I tried hovering, then RMB. I get the edit pattern dialog. That solves my problem - thank you!

However - if you create this sketch pattern in a part, you CAN click-select on the line then RMB and have the edit pattern dialog appear. This is why I was confused. You can also hover over the highlighted pattern glyph, RMB, and have edit pattern appear.

Here's an example of where Autodesk workflow is different for identical commands, depending on whether you are sketching in a part versus sketching in a drawing. Can you see why I was surprised by the behavior?

Andy

RMB_PART_SKETCH_PATTERN.JPG

Andy Wallace

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report