Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

inventor 2016 pro student edition wont start

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
2063 Views, 14 Replies

inventor 2016 pro student edition wont start

Hi everyone, 

I recently installed Inventor Pro suite with a student licence on windows 7 home premnium. The program worked fine in the beggining, but now it wont open. When i try to open it now, the first window with the inventor picture goes on( in the task manager I can see both inventor.exe and LMU.exe ). After some seconds the inventor will close without the loading bar being full. In the task  manager inventor.exe will also close but LMU.exe will remain running for a while and thet it will close too. The hole thing seemed like a bug that was on the 2015 version caused from windows updates, but the fix for that doesnt seem to work.

In the beggining I tried to do system restore, to go before the update which worked until the next windows update. Now i dont have a system restore point that goes back enough for the updates do become undone 😞

Is there any case that this is a "system requirments" problem? My PC is quite old but I used to run inventor 2015 without any problems and the 2016 version would run perfectly in the beggining. 

Help will be much apprecieated, 

George

desktop.jpg

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
Mark.Lancaster
in reply to: Anonymous

Georgerpk

Run the Inventor reset utility and try to launch Inventor again.

Inventor reset Utility: http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticl...

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

Thanks for the reply,

I run the program. It says that the reset was done successfully but the inventor will still crash.

Message 4 of 15
mdavis22569

can you do a reinstall...or go into control panel, This version of Inventor and do a repair ..

Make sure you have all the patches installed too.

Mike 

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Thanks for the reply, 

If I am looking at the right page :

Untitled.jpg

there are no service packs or patches for inventor 2016. I did install this update, but it didnt solve the problem. Repairing and reinstalling did nothing too. 

Message 6 of 15
Mark.Lancaster

Is your Windows 32B or 64B?

Mark Lancaster

&  Autodesk Services MarketPlace Provider

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional & not an Autodesk Employee

Likes is much appreciated if the information I have shared is helpful to you and/or others

Did this resolve your issue? Please accept it "As a Solution" so others may benefit from it.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Mark.Lancaster

64 bit Windows 7 home premium. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Any other advices?

Message 9 of 15
matthew.d

Hi @Anonymous,

It sound like the graphics card may be causing this, have you tried updating the driver on it recently? What graphics card are you using?

Matt DiMichele
Autodesk Product Blogs | @ADSKCommunity Twitter

Likes are greatly appreciated. Everyone enjoys a thumbs up!

Please Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue, to help others benefit and locate it.
Message 10 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: matthew.d

Hi Matthew thanks for your help, 

I am using GTX 260 graphics card and i recently istalled tha latest drivers from the nvidia website. Could this be the problem? Should I unistall them?

Message 11 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Before you try uninstalling, could you go to Task Manager and terminate all the pre-existing Google Chrome processes? Then restart Inventor. If it still does not work, try turning off Inventor My Home via the following registry key.

1) Close Inventor.

2) Launch Regedit.exe.

3) Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Inventor\RegistryVersion20.0\System\Preferences\File\ShowHomeBaseOnStartup and set it to 0.

After that, does Inventor start?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue

When google chrome is closed i cant see any other background processes to close in the task manager. 

In the second fix that you propose : I can't find the registry key that you say. Could this be the problem? 

desktop1.jpg

thanks,

George.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

I commented that had the same problem.

Issue:
When you start Inventor, the Inventor splash screen opens and disappears

Causes:
Corrupt C++ modules, possibly
Corrupt Licensing data file

Solution:
Delete the TSF.data file for your Autodesk products - this will affect all Autodesk products on the machine and
you will likely need to register again.
We are looking for a specific TSF.data file. It will resemble this: ADSKFLEX_NUMBERS_TSF.data. It should be
located here for Vista/Windows 7:
C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet

If you do not see the files, you may have windows set to hide files and folders.
In Windows Explorer click View > Options
Access the View tab and select "Show Hidden files, folders, and drives"
After the TSF.data file is removed, open the Task manager and look for a process called LMU.exe. If this process
is present select and cancel the process.
Start the program and register

Message 14 of 15
Anonymous

Hi,
Thanks for your time but i ended up upgrading to windows 8 and reinstalling everything. I will keep it in mind tho for future use.
Message 15 of 15
johnsonshiue

Hi! Do you have enough space in %temp%? Close all programs and start File Explorer -> go to %temp% and delete all fils there.

After that, does Inventor 2016 run?

Thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report