Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INVENTOR 2015 SP1, very slow and low CPU usage

28 REPLIES 28
SOLVED
Message 1 of 29
Studio_forma
5927 Views, 28 Replies

INVENTOR 2015 SP1, very slow and low CPU usage

Hello everyone,

I apologize in advance for my poor english 🙂 I'm using a translator

I have a problem with Inventor 2015 SP1, the use of the software is very slow, especially when I have to update components derived, where the program remains freezed even for an hour!

I noticed that when Inventor is freezed, the load of the CPU is always around 15% / 20%, and by monitoring resource windows is clear that the core with a high load are very few. 

My pc configuration is:

CPU AMD FX-8350 8core
Mainboard: ASROCK 970 EXTREME 4
Ram: 16Gb 1800Mhz
HD: 500Gb traditional
VGA: AMD 7870Gb. 2gb ram
All drivers, bios and the operating system up to date.
Software: Autodesk Inventor 2015 SP1

There is an optimization to be made to the software to speed the use of Inventor?

Thanks in advance for the answers..

28 REPLIES 28
Message 21 of 29
info
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for the fast reply

I applied the settings and turned off the process Superfetch. It could be that there is some improvement (I didn’t set a stopwatch). But it took at least 20 minutes to open the assembly and the network traffic still drops and is very small. Nowhere near the speed I have with the Windows 7 PC. All the Machines have SSD’s. So I don’t think it’s the writing speed or anything. Tell me if you need more specific information.

thanks

Message 22 of 29
eucci
in reply to: info

Info,

Have you migrated the entire project to the latest release?. This solved all my issues.

Message 23 of 29
mslosar
in reply to: eucci

I'm running into this same issue.

2015, SP1 update 1 as of today.

Whole project migrated to 2015. Pulled up in Design Assistant with no issues.

Project testing on: Originally built in 2013, but has been migrated. About 1000 total objects and 250 unique objects. Not all that large really.

I can place any of three main sub-assemblies on IDW's with no problems at all. However, when you place the whole main assembly. It takes 5+ minutes for the first view and 30+ minutes for projected views. It's not hours like some above have mentioned, but that's still virtually unusable.

I did the following:
Migrated all files to 2015
Updated to SP2, Update 1
Tried using the IDW that comes with 2015
Set the large assembly threshold to 200

Migrating the files helped to a degree, but going from 30+ minutes on projected views to 10+ minutes isn't really a big help.

The thing that seems to make the biggest difference is putting Design Data on the local drive. That takes the time to 15ish seconds per view.

WHY SHOULD THIS MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE? I can think of no reason this file should have to be in any specific location as long as it's pointed at in Application Options. Please tell me there's a fix for this specific issue or that it's upcoming soon. 

Seriously? We've had Design Data on the network for over 2 years with no issues. Now, it's a massive performance hit? We aren't on Vault and have 50 ish users scattered over 3 floors and 5 cities. How else are we supposed to keep everyone on the same styles and up to date?

(after all other changes, updates, migrations, etc)

Design Data on Network:

Nearly 2 minutes. Projected View, I gave up after 4 minutes

Design Data on C:

15ish Seconds. Projected View, under 10 seconds.

Please, Help me understand this...

Message 24 of 29
johnsonshiue
in reply to: mslosar

Hi! The behavior you describe here does not sound right to me. When you said you migrated the dataset to 2015, I assume you migrated the styles also. Did you run "Update Design" task to remove the redundant local styles? Is there any way you can share the dataset with us? I can set up a secure account for you to upload. Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 25 of 29
mslosar

I can ask about the files, but I wouldn't count on it frankly.

I didn't migrate styles via task scheduler. What I did was this:

1. Copied the design data folder from 2015's install to the network
2. Opened inventor
3. Opened our titleblock idw which contains our styles
4. Saved the titleblock idw down as the 2015 version
5. Saved all it's styles to the style library via manage/save so all the titleblock settings propogated down to design data themselves.

Should it have been done differently?

Message 26 of 29
johnsonshiue

Hi! It does not seem that you have migrated Styles library. Could you do the followings and see if it helps? 1) Use Style Library Manager to migrate all the styles in \Design Data\ folder. 2) Run an Update Design task via Task Scheduler and make sure you check "Update Local Materials and Appearances" option. Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 27 of 29
mslosar

On #2, do mean run on the project folder itself?
Message 28 of 29
johnsonshiue

Yes, on project folders.

Thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 29 of 29
mslosar

That looks to have done it - migrated the styles and the speed improved. There was a slight improvement after running a Design Update with update local styles and materials, but it was maybe a couple seconds.

I thought i did update my styles, but the installed files still had random dates from 2008-2014, perhaps they should have their dates updated to coincide with the release date of the software to help point that out? Hard to tell which is current when the dates read the same.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report