Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 2013 on Win7 Virtual Box on Win10

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
krisd
300 Views, 2 Replies

Inventor 2013 on Win7 Virtual Box on Win10

Hi all, I'm running an HP Z420 workstation with Win10. For my occassional use nowadays I still have Inv 13; this obviously won't run on Win10 so my IT guru setup VirtualBox with Win7. Inventor is all loaded up here and appears initially to be fine, BUT,

1. when I open any model I cannot see it

2. the view cube is not visible

3. when I create a new sketch I cannot see it until I've completed the 'move' and cannot dimension it.

Is this all down to not enough graphics power allocated or something? I'm no wizz-kid on that side, and typically the IT guy doesn't know Inventor. Can anyone tell me how to maybe set Virtual Box properly or whatever else I need to correct please?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: krisd

I've read so far online that Virtual Box may not be compatible with 3D acceleration... maybe you'll need a different type of VM, but anyhow, here are a couple of links for you to show your IT team:
https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?t=101276
https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=f432d5e7c6bc9cda2d3c89a2189fd20b&p=6343141...

Things I'd try: Tools > App. Options > Hardware > select conservative and software graphics options. Right-click the Inventor shortcut on desktop and go to Properties > Compatibility, and checkmark Compatibility Mode. Also update Inventor if you can find the latest updates from a support ticket or through your reseller. Finally, see if your NVIDIA graphics dashboard can configure Inventor to run as compatible as possible.

Message 3 of 3
krisd
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Thanks, I'll try the conservative bit but I'm pretty sure it's non of this.
I have Inventor on Win7 on another SSD in the system but I don't have that
OS set up for much as I'm predominantly on Win10. It runs fine with no
adjustments on the Win7 OS SSD and was set up with no alterations to std in
the VirtualBox Win7 on Win10 so I'm guessing it's the VB settings. People
who know T AND CAD are worth their weight in Platinum but few and far
between.

It's purely so I can work in Win10 95% time and just pop into Inventor on
the run occasionally.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report