Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventor 101: consolidating identical items in parts list.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
1314 Views, 5 Replies

Inventor 101: consolidating identical items in parts list.

I started off making a multibody part … a number of the bodies are identical … I created one and then mirrored it across a few planes so in the end I have 8 … used Make Component, so now I have an assembly that includes 8 identical parts labeled Solid1, Soild 2, etc.

How do I create a parts list that does not treat each identical part as a separate line item? All 8 parts should be in one row with a qty of 8, not 8 rows with a quantity of 1.    

This something that Solidworks just … does. It identifies identical bodies and automatically consolidates them. I'm hoping there is a similar feature in Inventor that perhaps I need to turn on? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Cadmanto
in reply to: Anonymous

In your drawing, RC on your parts list.  Select, bom1.png

Then when this dialog come up select, 

bom.png

This window will appear.  Check the box indicated.

bom2.png

Windows 10 x64 -16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 3.41ghz
nVidia GTS 250 - 1 GB
Inventor Pro 2018

Best Regards,
Scott McFadden
(Colossians 3:23-25)

Message 3 of 6
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi @Anonymous, 

Welcome to the Inventor forums.

As mentioned you just need to change the part number in the BOM for each of the resulting components for them to be merged.

There are a couple of ways that this could be made more automatic... if you're interested in learning more post back a some screen shots and further explanation of your typical designs and I'll see if I can offer some suggestions.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Changing the part number designation in the BOM does suck the parts together into one row when the enable row merge is turned on, but it's kinda cheating. If I go back to my model and, say, add a hole to one of the identical bodies (thereby making it not identical any more), the BOM does not adjust to this change.

I'm trying to avoid those "gotchas" where the drawing does not automatically update to any changes in the model. 

Message 5 of 6
swalton

I don't use multi-body modeling for assemblies, so my advice/comments may not be useful.

The identical body detection in Solidworks sounds helpful.  It looks like Inventor does not do that, so if you have an identical part, model it once-and-only-once.

If you must repeat the body in your multi-body part, don't export the extra bodies from the multi-body part to the assembly. 

If that is not possible, delete them from the assembly, and use conventional constraints to position the repeat solids.  You can make work geometry in the multi-body part to position these repeat components, if you want to have a single place to edit positions.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 6
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

Changing the part number designation in the BOM does suck the parts together into one row when the enable row merge is turned on, but it's kinda cheating. If I go back to my model and, say, add a hole to one of the identical bodies (thereby making it not identical any more), the BOM does not adjust to this change.

I'm trying to avoid those "gotchas" where the drawing does not automatically update to any changes in the model. 

If you make a change to only one then the part number shouldn't be the same anymore.. Change it and it will unmerge..

Yes its a manual process..

Yes this is one big con of multibody workflows that should have been better handled.. (Its reason #1 I do not use them ever)..

I don't know how SWx handles this but wouldn't be surprised if its functions in this matter were better than Inventor.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report