Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inv 2018: Why do I get prompt. "Save changes to...?" even after saving manually?

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Yadow
1024 Views, 6 Replies

Inv 2018: Why do I get prompt. "Save changes to...?" even after saving manually?

Greetings,

Can anyone please tell me what may be causing my assembly files and drawings to get a standard autodesk inventor prompt saying "Save changes to *********.xxx?" when I am closing them the second after saving the file with the save icon or Ctrl+S ? This is really grinding my gears! 

There are no pending updates to the assembly / Drawings and no promts are being initiated if I press "Save" over and over again manually. This must be some kind of bug, right?

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
imajar
in reply to: Yadow

That sounds pretty similar to what some of us call "dirtying files" where inventor is trying to update and save files, and we didn't do anything (we think) to require an update.  It's an annoying problem for those of us using vault and we don't want non-updated files getting saved. 

Honestly, I would be mega happy if the next Inventor release didn't have any new features and just dedicated the entire development team fixing all these annoying little bugs.  

Aaron Jarrett, PE
Inventor 2019 | i7-6700K 64GB NVidia M4000
LinkedIn

Life is Good.
Message 3 of 7
sundars
in reply to: imajar

Hi @Yadow@imajar ,

I agree. Multiple prompts for saving can be confusing. You could check your application options + save tab.

There are two prompt for save options

* prompt to save for re-computable updates 

* prompt to save for migration

You can try to uncheck these if they are checked and see if your problem goes away. If not, can you post your dataset or give us some more steps to recreate. We can certainly take a look at it and determine whats going on.

In Inventor 2021, we have enhanced the save prompts to give greater control so the behavior should be more transparent.

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 4 of 7
SBix26
in reply to: Yadow

I vaguely recall having this problem a number of versions back, and the resolution was to turn off Express Mode, which stores graphics in the assembly file in order to open it more quickly.  Somehow the graphics got updated (dirtied the file) after saving, and therefore needed to be saved again (and again, and again...).  Turning off Express Mode resolved the problem, if I recall correctly.

App Opts - Express Mode.png

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2021.1.1 | Windows 10 Home 2004
LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
IgorMir
in reply to: imajar

Keep on dreaming, Aaron.

The question about endless "Save" request by Inventor has been asked for more than fifteen years by now. And nothing has been done to address it.

Cheers,

Igor.

@imajar wrote:

That sounds pretty similar to what some of us call "dirtying files" where inventor is trying to update and save files, and we didn't do anything (we think) to require an update.  It's an annoying problem for those of us using vault and we don't want non-updated files getting saved. 

Honestly, I would be mega happy if the next Inventor release didn't have any new features and just dedicated the entire development team fixing all these annoying little bugs.  

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 6 of 7
IgorMir
in reply to: SBix26

Hi Sam;

Unfortunately - it has very little to do with the problem of endless save request. The thing is - if each and every component in Inventor is created as a stand alone file, without any linkage to other files - than it is fine. Put it all into assembly, constrain each and every part accordingly... There won't be much of the issue with Save.

But should one use derived components , iParts, iAssemblies in his/her design - the whole hell will broke loose. The designer will spend a great deal of time, addressing the "changes have been made..." while the computer was turned off.

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 7 of 7
Yadow
in reply to: IgorMir

Thank you Everyone for all of your insights and assistance.

I had already tested all of the "settings"-setups that you were talking about, and with some error-checking and self-made VBA macros I was able to figure out that some of our Library Components (assemblies) had pending changes due to updates to internal parts without updating the assembly component.

I have made a macro to scan for all library symbols with a "dirty" status and this should be permanently solved now.

Thank you all 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report