Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Introducing Vault

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
546 Views, 8 Replies

Introducing Vault

We have a lot of projects that have the same parts (filename) but with different lengths. Ex: PIPE100101.001.ipt, a pipe DN100 that has a lengtht of 100mm in project A, but has a lengtht of 200mm in project B. They are normal parts, no iparts or so. If we set up a Vault, and migrate a few projects to it, what will happen with files with the same name? Will it be a problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
swalton
in reply to: Anonymous

Maybe.

Our Vault has the "Enforce Unique Filenames" option turned on.  This means that we can't have files with the same name in different directories.  This works well for use, because we have always required unique filenames over the history of the company.

Vault will run without this option enabled, so it would be possible to have 1234.ipt in 5 different directories.  Vault/Inventor should manage that ok.  Your users will need to be careful to use the correct 1234.ipt in their various designs.

My preference would be to find and eliminate the duplicate filenames, and adjust the workflows/procedures to ensure that all file names are unique in future designs.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: swalton

@swalton 

When I say "same filenames" that is over multiple projects. We do not have the same filenames inside 1 project.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

up

Message 5 of 9
swalton

I'd avoid using multiple project files with Vault.

See:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/multiple-project-files-in-same-vault/td-p/5996257

Here is a post from @scottmoyse where he goes from recommending multiple project files to using a single project file.  https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/vault-forum/single-project-file-vs-multiple-project-files/td-p/348912... See the last post in the thread.

Autodesk's single project file setup: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Using...

Another blog post from Scott showing a way to configure Vault and multiple project files: https://designandmotion.net/autodesk/vault-single-vs-multiple-project-files-update/

Anyway, I expect you will need to do some cleanup on the inventor data/file folder structures before you go live with Vault.  You may want to work with a reseller or other Vault consultant to build a custom implementation plan that addresses your specific situation.  Look for recommendations about project files, template management, Content Center Data reuse, Style Library management, Design Data management, workspace location on users' hard drives, training requirements, etc.

Are you planning on implementing Vault Basic or one of the paid versions?  Lifecycles and/or MRP integrations?

Steve Walton
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 6 of 9
johan.degreef

I guess we will go for the Pro version. If we install it, we will only create new projects on it and continue from there. The past projects will remail outside the Vault.

Isn't it so that with a single project file, parts and assemblies are getting mixed usage across projects? That is not what we want.

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024
Message 7 of 9
swalton
in reply to: johan.degreef

Reusing parts/models is a business decision.  It may be possible to do something with Vault Pro to minimize reuse.  How do you handle commodity components like hardware, grease zerks, or hydraulic fittings?

The biggest advantage of a single project file in my day-to-day work is that I don't have to close all the Inventor files for Project A when I need to check something on Project B. 

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 9
johan.degreef

@swalton 

Partly using content center, partly using a library we created ourselves. (the parts that come out of our own library are copied/stored inside the project folders, and might have the same name in project A and B, but might differ in length, so need to stay unique.

The biggest advantage of a single project file in my day-to-day work is that I don't have to close all the Inventor files for Project A when I need to check something on Project B. 

That is a BIG + plus indeed.

Inventor 20250, Vault Professional 2025, Autocad Plant 3D 2024
Message 9 of 9
swalton
in reply to: johan.degreef

The file name defaults for Frame Generator and Tube&Pipe may be useful.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2021/ENU/Inve...

Automatic Numbering sequences in Vault Pro could be helpful to generate unique filenames as well.

Steve Walton

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report