Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inseparable Sub-Assemblies Showing ALL PARTS in Structured BOM/Export???

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
phlyx
666 Views, 16 Replies

Inseparable Sub-Assemblies Showing ALL PARTS in Structured BOM/Export???

We have some frame assemblies that are quite complicated and each of these is set to inseparable.  In the top level we are exporting a structured BOM so the parts are sorted for each sub-assembly together.  If we open the Parts Only BOM the components in the inseparable sub-assemblies do NOT show up.  But if we are in Structured BOM and we export all levels, then the parts inside the inseparable sub-assemblies all show up on the exported BOM.  Kind of thought the whole idea behind inseparable was to NOT have the parts show up on any BOMs.  How can we export a structured BOM (so parts are sorted by sub-assembly they are used in) and NOT show the parts inside an inseparable sub-assembly????

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
RNDinov8r
in reply to: phlyx

Inserperable is a weldment. I would think you'd want the lower parts to show up in the Parts Only as well, so you know what to order. I don't know if it matters, but the parts in the Inseperable assembly, may need to be set to Purchased to show up in the Parts only list. I've never actually tried leaving them as normal, since we've always used weldments and purchased parts.

Message 3 of 17
Frederick_Law

Don't focus on the name, just use them to get the BOM you need.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2023/ENU/?guid=GUID-A0A95805-CBF6-4524-8314-4AC8B53C19CF

Inseparable assembly with purchased children components

Inseparable components and purchased components have one difference in their behavior. In a parts-only parts list or BOM, all children of a purchased assembly are hidden. The assembly itself shows up as a line item in the BOM. For Inseparable assemblies, child components with a BOM structure of normal or inseparable components are hidden. Purchased child components that are inside an inseparable assembly are still displayed in the parts-only parts List.

Message 4 of 17
RNDinov8r

So, in all my years of using IV, I've never actually tried setting a subcomponent in a Weldment/Inseperable Assembly to Inseperable as well.  That's a good find! Thanks @Frederick_Law 

Message 5 of 17
Frederick_Law

There different ways to get a different BOM.

Their name are not, descriptive enough.

The "purchase part" promotion is interesting and tricky, haven't used it yet.

Phantom, Reference, Inseparable are used a lot but not nested.

I don't know if it ever changed in different year.

Message 6 of 17
phlyx

I set the sub-components of the inseparable assembly to purchased, normal, and inseparable and they all had the same results, still showed up.  The only way I could get them to not show up is make them reference and then they come in as dashed lines in the drawings.  These are very large weldments that are assemblies but I do not wish to turn them into "weldments" (in the Inventor sense with weld beads, etc) as that is irreversible.  Not sure why an actual welded weldment shows as Default BOM Structure=inseparable but if you set an assembly to Default BOM Structure=inseparable the BOM's act differently in the top level.  Components in Inventor welded weldments do NOT show up in expended Structured BOM, sub-components in an assembly set to inseparable DO show up.   🙄

Message 7 of 17
Frederick_Law

Instead if Inseparable, set assembly BOM structure to Purchased.

Message 8 of 17
phlyx
in reply to: Frederick_Law

Nope.  The sub-components are set to Normal and the main assembly set to Purchased, same results.

2023-07-10_110333.jpg

Message 9 of 17
phlyx

2023-07-10_141332.jpg

When an assembly is inseparable it should mean that it cannot be broken down into smaller parts.  So why does a weldment (BOM set to inseparable) act different than an assembly (BOM set to inseparable) and why does an assembly set to Normal act the same as an assembly set to Inseparable?  Inquiring minds want to know (and are not real happy about it).    

Message 10 of 17
Frederick_Law

Did you try changing it in Document Settings?

That's where I change them all the time.

Part list will not show parts.

I don't use the BOM much.  Don't know if it behave differently.

BOM-Phantom-01.jpg

Message 11 of 17
Frederick_Law

Are we talking about the same thing?

BOM-Structure-01.jpgBOM-Structure-02.jpgBOM-Structure-03.jpg

First spreadsheet is Structure, second one is Parts only:

BOM-Structure-04.jpg

Message 12 of 17
phlyx

Yes, Tools/Document Settings/Bill of Materials/Default BOM Structure.  Have a top level machine assembly with sub-assemblies.  One of the sub-assembles I set to Inseparable as I want it looked at on all BOM's as one thing, not a bunch of individual parts.  Then when I am in the top level and I am on the Structured tab I export all levels (which I have to do as there are sub-assemblies a couple levels deep) it shows ALL components that make up the Inseparable sub-assembly.  It does NOT show ANY of the components that make up a Weldment assembly which is also BOM Inseparable, but it shows ALL the components of an Inseparable sub-assembly.  Seems that Inseparable <does not equal> Inseparable.  

Message 13 of 17
Frederick_Law

Maybe you can send the files to Johnson.

All the files migrated to current version you're using?

PS I changed the assembly to Inseparable and it worked like Purchased.

Parts not showing in export.

Message 14 of 17
jtylerbc

@Frederick_Law wrote:

Did you try changing it in Document Settings?

That's where I change them all the time.

Part list will not show parts.

I don't use the BOM much.  Don't know if it behave differently.

I don't have a solution for the actual problem that @phlyx is asking about, but I can address this.  The setting in the BOM and the Document Settings are the same.  It just gives you a centralized place to change it in multiple components, instead of having to open them individually and change it in their Document Settings.  

Message 15 of 17
phlyx

@Frederick_Law here are the steps to reproduce issue and have it happening in multiple places so think it's consistent with assemblies in 2022.4.1

- Top level assembly with sub-assemblies (iam)

- Sub-assembly that is made of multiple manufactured parts (ipt)

- In top level assembly select Bill of Materials

- Click on Structured tab

- In top menu select Structured Properties and set to All Levels

2023-07-12_092735.jpg

- While in the Structured tab, select Export Bill of Materials

2023-07-12_092916.jpg

- Export the BOM to an Excel spreadsheet

- In the Excel spreadsheet, look for the components that make up the sub-assembly

- I have set the sub-assembly to Normal, Inseparable, and Purchased with the same results, all sub-components show up on the Excel BOM.  I have set the sub-components to Normal, Inseparable, and Purchased with the same results.

Message 16 of 17
phlyx

The *ONLY* way to prevent sub-components in a weldment or any type inseparable assembly, from showing up on a top level BOM is to make all the sub-components BOM --> Reference.  Which also means *EVERY* drawing view that it is used in has to have the Drawing View/Model tab/Hidden Line Calculation = All bodies/Display Style = Edges as Part/Margin=<big enough number to include all lines>.

Royal pain in the *ss.  Sub-components of inseparable assemblies appear the same as normal assemblies on the top level BOM.  Kind of says inseparable assemblies are separable.  

Message 17 of 17
johnsonshiue

Hi Scott,

If I understood how it works correctly, this is the designed behavior for BOM Structured All-Level view. "Inseparable" can alter the levels only in Part Only view, not in Structured view.

To control the levels in BOM Structured All-Level view, you may create a PartsList in the drawing and then export the PartsList to Excel.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report