Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Initial View Extents Problem

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
pachubby
1644 Views, 7 Replies

Initial View Extents Problem

Hi

Can anyone answer the following question:

When you create your own template part file and change the "Initial View Extents" setting in Document Settings on the Modelling Tab.  Does this affect the behaviour of the initial view extents when re-opening a part file created from this template?

FYI - I recently created a new template part file so that the sketch gridline spacing was more relevant to the size of parts I create.  I like to use gridlines while in sketch mode because it is a good visual indicator that I'm in sketch mode.  On opening a new part file that referenced to my new template, I noticed that the initial view extents meant only a couple of gridlines were visible due to the zoom level.  I therefore tweaked my template file by increasing the initial view extents by a factor of 4 (400mm x 200mm). 

The problem now is when opening a part file created from this template, the zoom level seems to snap to the customised view extents and not to the physical extents of the part.  Right clicking the View Cube and re-setting the "Fit to View" has no effect.  This feature seems broken now that I use modified initial view extents.

Autodesk Inventor Professional 2019 64-Bit Edition
Build: 330, Release: 2019.4
Windows 10 Pro, Intel i5-6300HQ, 16GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
bob_holland
in reply to: pachubby

p.chubbock,

Thank you for pointing this out.

What version of Inventor are you utilizing?

Thank you

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 3 of 8
pachubby
in reply to: bob_holland

I am using Inventor 2012 SP2 64-Bit Edition.

NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
Message 4 of 8
pachubby

Okay, this morning I have been playing around with creating template part files and tweaking the document settings to see what is causing the intial zoom/extent behavioural problems when opening a part file.

This morning I have been creating template part files from our company standard part file, and the files located in C/Users/Public/Documents/Autodesk/Inventor 2012/Templates, (when Inventor was installed on my machine I believe the Inventor standard templates were not installed or removed after installation, and when initially creating my template I wanted to see what my company changed to the templates shipped with Inventor).

Please let me know where else on my machine the Inventor installation may have put any templates?

Anyhow, I have discovered what is causing the initial zoom/extent problem! (see attached)

If you open any part file (something the size of a desk) but making sure this check box is unticked, then tick the box, save and close the part file, then re-open.  The initial view of the part will be zoomed in on the origin point and not zoomed to the physical extents of the part.  In addition, when you then untick the same check box and save and close the file, the same view problem continues when it is re-opened.

Can anyone explain this?

Thanks!

NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
Message 5 of 8
bob_holland

Paul,

By default we put our templates in:

C/Users/Public/Documents/Autodesk/Inventor 2012/Templates

Frequently companies will just let them install the templates in the default location and then point Inventor to a network location for their corporate templates.  These have frequently been migrated from previous releases.

I will do some more testing and check on this.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 6 of 8
bob_holland

Paul,

Can you please post one of your IPT files that is in question.

I would like to see what I might have set differently than you.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 7 of 8
pachubby

Hi Bob,

Please see attached a part file. 

At the moment it works fine, but if you change any one of the settings on the Modeling tab in Document Settings (as highlighted in the attached screen shot), then saving, closing and re-opening the part file; this causes the initial zoom extent behaviour to kick in.

NVIDIA Quadro M1000M
Message 8 of 8
jsmith923

I'm using 2015 software and this issue still has not gone away.  I tried putting in the value of 0 for both the Width and Height and it seems to force Inventor to Zoom Extents the next time it opens the file.

Capture.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report