Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing large Model from another CAD software

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
oliverC7F2D
317 Views, 10 Replies

Importing large Model from another CAD software

I have a large 3D model with many solids and surfaces which was created as a Rhino 3D-M. The exported .stp file is 491,675 KB. Do I import to inventor as an assembly or part? When I tried opening as part, it really burdened my system, which I was surprised about, and it also takes about 30 minutes to open the file. I really don't think my PC speed is an issue, more my workflow.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

oliverC7F2D_0-1721825763512.png

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
blandb
in reply to: oliverC7F2D

Instead of converting the model, have you tried switching the radio button to "Reference" the model? Does that improve anything?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 11
oliverC7F2D

Hello,

Sorry, I am not aware of the radio button as I have only recently moved to Inventor. Could you please explain?

Regards,

Oliver

Message 4 of 11
blandb

When you open say a step file, there is the (2) buttons at the top, (1) Reference (2) Import. My understanding is that if you are in a company that uses multiple software and one group has a model that is work in progress and you need to have that model in your design, you can link it. Then when they save their solidworks model for instance, you will see a lightning bolt where you will then need to update the model and it will show what they have saved. 

If you import, then it is a free standing model.

I don't know your workflow, but if you need just a free standing model, then you could import as an assembly, then simplify it to a single part file as well.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 5 of 11
oliverC7F2D
in reply to: blandb

It's just me at the company, so I will continue with Inventor from now on. The import to assembly has sat at 94% for over an hour now. Will end task and try as you have suggested. And I will also try saving as Rhino 7 file and import from that version.

Message 6 of 11
oliverC7F2D

I am placing in as a component?

oliverC7F2D_0-1721829103211.png

Message 7 of 11
oliverC7F2D

I also keep having this error?

oliverC7F2D_0-1721831072704.png

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! This is probably a combination of surface and solid bodies. I could be wrong but I don't think Rhino supports the concept of reused components and structured assembly. Try importing the same STEP file back to Rhino. Does it work? Another test to try is to view the STEP file in viewer.autodesk.com. If it cannot be viewed, it may mean the STEP file has some quality issues or there is a file-specific bug in Autodesk STEP translator.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
oliverC7F2D

Thank you very much for the tip on viewer.autodesk.com I will upload the STEP file and see if it has quality issues.

Could I export each solid in Rhino as STEP, then upload each solid to a part file and rebuild as an assembly? Would this get me as close to a full working assembly without remodelling the whole project?

Many Thanks,

Oliver Noakes

Message 10 of 11
johnsonshiue

Hi! Yes, you may export each solid body as a STEP and import it to Inventor as parts. Then rebuild the assembly. If I understand how Rhino works correctly, it seems to work best with defining shape, not creating an assembly. Why is this project done in Rhino? Was it also imported to Rhino? What was the original source? Could you import it straight to Inventor?

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 11 of 11
oliverC7F2D

Rhino was originally my software of choice. And I have found it limiting in my line of work. I do wish I had moved to AUTODESK products 6 years ago, but never mind.

Thank you for your assistance. I will carry on and import each solid body and reassemble.

Thank you, the forum has been a great source of knowledge.

Many thanks,

Oliver Noakes

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report