Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Importing DWG or DXF into inventor to make a sketch

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
perry.a.gray
863 Views, 6 Replies

Importing DWG or DXF into inventor to make a sketch

How do I import a DXF or DWG 2D profile. I am trying to take a simple 2D dxf and import it into something I can make an extrusion for in Inventor. When I import it and open a sketch there is a blank page. I can see it when I open it in Inventor but I can't do anything with it other than look at it. So I am guessing that it would need to import into an ipt file so I can extrude it as a sketch. AutoCAD has changed so much I can't even make a 2D sketch there anymore. It has changed in the last 20 yrs to where I don't know how it works. I have gotten spoiled by Inventor and have lost touch with AutoCAD. It should be simpler than it is since DXF is an AutoCAD format. 

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: perry.a.gray

Hi Perry,

Did you try DWG Underlay workflow? In the part you want to overlay the dwg file, Import -> pick the dwg file -> pick an origin plane -> pick the origin point to place the dwg geometry. After that, create a sketch on a parallel plane -> Project DWG Geometry -> select the dwg geometry.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
Paul.Normand

You can check out both the Underlay workflow and the Import workflow with the 2 guided tutorials. 

PaulNormand_2-1646092261317.png

PaulNormand_0-1646092084097.png

PaulNormand_1-1646092101152.png

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 4 of 7
perry.a.gray

Not seeing much about underlay workflow in Inventor 2019. I don't see options for that in import settings. 

Message 5 of 7
Paul.Normand

An import workflow converts ACAD geometry to Inventor geometry and there is no link to the source ACAD file.
There is no specific "underlay" command or option. Underlay describes the workflow.
Start an Inventor part file and use the Import function in the 3D model tab. This brings in the ACAD geometry as an xref. This workflow creates an associative link that allow changes to the ACAD source file to drive the geometry in Inventor. It also allows you the ability to project only the geometry you need from the ACAD file.

If you want to see both workflows in action, open the two tutorials and watch the videos.

Paul Normand
Principal Content Developer/SME
Design Lifecycle and Simulation (DLS)
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 7
James_Willo

Hi Perry, you mention AutoCAD. If all you want to do is just get a shape from DXF to Inventor, this is the way I always did it.

Open in AutoCAD

Window select

ctrl+c

Switch to Inventor

Start your sketch

ctrl+v

Fully Constrain everything

If your DXF data is good you'll be able to extrude straight away.

The above workflows are better if your DXF is likely to change at any point as it'll be associative and update in Inventor. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 7 of 7
perry.a.gray
in reply to: James_Willo

Thanks that works. Cut and paste into the ipt sketch panel. I am sure there are other ways to do it but that is fast and easy. Open in AutoCAD then select, Cntr C, then open a sketch and paste. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report