Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iMac OS X running Windows 10 (Parallels) - Inventor 2017 DWG Import Crash

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1317 Views, 4 Replies

iMac OS X running Windows 10 (Parallels) - Inventor 2017 DWG Import Crash

Hello Autodesk Community, 

This is my first post on this forum and I haven't found a thread explaining how to fix this particular error but I apologize beforehand if it already has been answered. 

I am running Inventor Professional 2017 with a student product key downloaded directly from the Autodesk webpage. 

I am running this version of Inventor on Windows 10 using Parallels 11. The Windows set up file was downloaded from the Windows page and a valid product key was used for activation. Installation of Windows 10 on Parallels and Inventor 2017 ran without any problems.

What I would like to do: I have started a 3D assembly on Autocad and would like to transfer all my current work over to Inventor to continue my assembly process there. I currently have one Autocad file with all parts loaded on to it as it should be assembled and would like to use the DWG import option on Inventor to import all solids as separate parts. I am following the instructions used in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfosVLnMLYA

Where I am having trouble: As soon as the DWG/DXF File Wizard opens (File>Open>Import) when clicking Next my computer lags up for a bit and soon afterwards I get the following error: 

DWG TrueView

C:\Windows\system32\IndividualRing_1.log

Unable to create logfile for this drawing; maximum number reached. Please delete some log files from this directory.

From this point onward I have not been able to continue the import process and Inventor basically freezes at this stage.

What I have done:

I first tried opening a single part file from Autocad rather than the entire assembly but I get the same error. However using this process I realized that if I use Task Manager to close DWG True View then Inventor automatically passes over to the next step in the import wizard but no layers or information from my file are visible. If I press Finish then the file continues to load but the program appears to be stuck in another loop here (I'm not sure if I'm supposed to give it more time but it doesn't seem likely).

Also, I have Inventor installed on my personal PC and tried running this same procedure and I don't get the same error. Inventor runs very slowly on this PC however and the import process takes too long for me to finish the transfer to Inventor.

Well sorry for the lengthy post I just wanted to try and cover as much as possible. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated because I truly can't afford the time to start my entire modeling process in Inventor from scratch. Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
mcgyvr
in reply to: Anonymous

Do you meet all the requirements here? scroll down to this section "Mac Virtualization on Parallels Desktop"

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/inventor-products/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcartic...

Could easily be a bug too.. 

Maybe try Inventor 2016 (make sure to install any service packs/updates prior to trying to import again). 

DWG True view is a separate program but its needed for certain importing operations.. If its failing then nothing else will work but to fix that. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 5
blair
in reply to: mcgyvr

There was a update released for Parallels 11, make sure that you have installed it. You might be light on system resources to run Parallels. Basically your system has to split hardware resources between OX and Parallels. To bring drawings into Inventor you end up not only having Inventor running but ACAD as well.

You might consider looking to Boot Camp if your hardware is minimal as it uses less overhead. I use both Boot Camp 6 on my Mac Pro at home and Parallels 11 on my MacBook Pro.

Since I don't do that much on my MacBook Pro, I can handle the performance hit.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 5
SharkDesign
in reply to: blair

As Blair said, you should run Bootcamp.

I tried running Inventor on Parallels and it was terrible. Extrememly slow.

You will just get fed up in the end. Boot Camp is the only way forward with resource hungry software.

Expert Elite
  Inventor Certified Professional
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: SharkDesign

Typing as a running troubleshoot of this problem ...

I am running Win 10 bootcamp on Macbook Pro with Inventor 2017 and getting the exact same error message at the same place as reported above. It's not the complexity of the dxf file as I extruded a single circle in Inventor and exported one of its faces as a dxf and then opened it with Inventor. The wizard just hangs and hangs. When I finally kill the software, the dialog box that the software was apparently waiting for user input from is visible. Image attached.

The file at the location specified in the error message (C:/WIndows/system32/templog. doesn't exist and a second pop-up window shows saying cannot create empty file. Sounds like a permissions issue.

Indeed. Running Inventor as administrator solves the problem.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report