Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLogic subassemblies ???

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Qube-it
5274 Views, 8 Replies

iLogic subassemblies ???

Here's the background workflow:

1) Created several iLogic parts

2) Created an iLogic assembly

3) Inserted a couple of the iLogic parts using the normal Inventor "Place Component" command, (which I will call "Inventor-PC parts")

4) Inserted some iLogic parts using the iLogic "Place iLogic Component" (which I will call "iLogic-PC parts")

4) Decided, after the fact, that I wanted some assembly parameters to drive the "Inventor-PC parts" and set up a new rule that linked these parameters.

4) Created another (new) regular assembly and inserted the iLogic assembly.

5) Made a change to one of the parameters of the inserted iLogic assembly and got an iLogic error stating that it "couldn't find" the "Inventor-PC parts".

6) When I opened up the rule that contained that error, the parameter reference code had a reference to the ORIGINALLY named part file and not the name of the part that was with-in this instance of the iLogic assembly.

a) For example, when you insert an instance of the iLogic assembly into a new assembly it renames the parent iLogic assembly (because it's a new instance) as well as all the children of that iLogic assembly by adding a " -01 " etc.

b) Well the rule running the linked parameters for the "iLogic-PC parts" kept the same name in their respective parameter references, but somehow maintained a proper link to the active instance of the iLogic assembly, but the rule running the linked parameter for the "Inventor-PC parts" also kept the same name of the parameter references, but did not maintain a link to the active instance of the iLogic assembly.

Wow, I don't think anyone will understand what I wrote up there,but I'll leave it and continue. Is the reccomended workflow for iLogic assemblies that will be re-used in other assemblies to place components via the "Place iLogic Component"?

-Brian Hall-

-Brian Hall-
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
MjDeck
in reply to: Qube-it

The way to avoid this problem is to rename the components in your assembly (at least rename the components that are referenced in rules) before you place the assembly as an iLogic component. If you want to keep the same name you can use a trick: rename it once to a temporary name, them change it back to the original. Once it is renamed, the component name won't follow the file name and the rules will be able to find the file when the name changes.

This is assuming that you use syntax like:

Parameter("Component:1", "Length") = Length

to drive parameters in parts and sub-assemblies. This is the recommended method.

I'm on the iLogic team at Autodesk. I have to apologize because this info is not in the Help file. Several pages in the help recommend changing the component name, but not on the page for Place iLogic Component. We will add this info.

Mike

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 3 of 9
Qube-it

Thanks for the response Mike. Let me iterate back to you the way I understand it:

1) Create iLogic part(s), or regular parts for that matter.

2) Start new assembly and save it (more or less immediately)

3) If I plan on making this assembly into an iLogic assembly, then I should execute the "Place iLogic Component" whenever placing components, period.

4) After I place my components, I should just get into the habit of renaming them in the assembly browser tree.

Is that about right?

-Brian Hall-
-Brian Hall-
Message 4 of 9
MjDeck

Brian,

Here's a few notes:

1) Create iLogic part(s), or regular parts for that matter.

2) Start new assembly and save it (more or less immediately)
If you want to use the assembly as a subassembly for Place iLogic Component, then you should rename its components in its assembly browser tree.

3) If I plan on making this assembly into an iLogic assembly, then I should execute the "Place iLogic Component" whenever placing components, period.
Yes for components that you want to re-use and morph within the assembly, or re-use in several assemblies.
But if you only want one size or shape of a given component, then Place iLogic Component isn't needed. The usefulness of this command is that it creates unique copies that you can modify independently from the original. So if your sub-assembly is already unique and it's going to remain unique (and you don't need different configurations of it), then Place iLogic Component is not necessary.

4) After I place my components, I should just get into the habit of renaming them in the assembly browser tree.
Yes, good general rule for iLogic, for any component that you want to drive with rules.

If you use Place iLogic Component all the way up the chain of a design with sub-assemblies, you could end up with a lot of copies. The copies aren't linked back to the original, so if you have to make a change to the original then you have to change the copies (or replace them) as well .

We are working to improve this command.

Mike

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 5 of 9
Qube-it

Thanks for the help Mike. The reason I was so "rigid" about always using the "Place iLogic Component" was because in the beginning of the designs I may not know 100% which components I will want to drive from the assembly and if I never drive some of the components then I will only have to deal with an "extra copy" of the original. Allbeit, it's not linked to the original, but that's a small price to pay to have the flexibility for iLogic use later on. For what I'm dealing with, it shouldn't matter that it's not linked to the original, but I can see how that's a drawback in some design scenarios.

I gotta tell you Mike, I am loving this Add-In! This is going to be EXTREMELY useful for a project that I'm on now and for future stuff as well. I only have words of encouragement to you and your team to just keep it going.

-Brian Hall-
-Brian Hall-
Message 6 of 9
Qube-it

Something else I'm noticing is that an iLogic subassembly that is being driven by the top level assembly doesn't fully update when I change the top assemblies driving parameter values. It's updating some of the components of the subassembly, buy not all of them. I had to go into each subassembly and run a regen of the rules and then do an update. Am I doing something wrong?

-Brian Hall-
-Brian Hall-
Message 7 of 9
Qube-it

Nevermind. I found out how to make the rule fire automatically. For others reading this, I went into the "Options" tab inside the Rule Editor and checked off the box that said "Fire dependant rules immediately". This was done inside the rule located in a part file of the subassembly that wasn't updating automatically when I made changes to the top level assembly.

-Brian Hall-
-Brian Hall-
Message 8 of 9
MjDeck

You shouldn't have to use the "Fire dependent rules immediately" option like that, but if it works that's OK.

Setting a parameter in a part from an assembly rule should fire all part rules that use that parameter. There's one note: they have to use directly as a variable name, and not in a Parameter function. So something like:

If Length > 8.5 Then

will fire automatically, but

If Parameter("Length") > 8.5 Then

will not fire. You don't have to use the Parameter function syntax within a part, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe you're talking about having the model do an Update? Rules may run and parameters will change, but the model will not automatically update. You can use InventorVb.DocumentUpdate in a rule, and in that case the "Fire dependent rules immediately" can help.

Mike Deck
Software Developer
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 9
P_Korgaonkar
in reply to: MjDeck

Hello There,

I have the same issue, few of my parts do not update. I need to open those parts and run rule manually from the part to update.

I have tried all the options mentioned in the above posts, but no luck so far.

Any more ideas?

Regards

Parag

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report