Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ilogic Application very slow.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Jackson1967
1779 Views, 19 Replies

Ilogic Application very slow.

We have recently upgraded both to windows 10 and Inventor 2018 from windows 7 and Inventor 2016. We also have an extensive ilogic applications with over 1000 parts and 40000 instances.

The application was running and completing in roughly 30 to 45 minutes and now, after the upgrades, it takes 6 hours or so if it makes it through without shutting down.

We know our hardware is out of the recommended range for both 2016 and 2018. Using I5-6500 @3.2GHz with 32 GB RAM.

Anyone with thoughts on if there are settings in Inventor or Windows that we are missing or is this just hardware.

My company is notoriously frugal in regards to CAD stations so this will be fun.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
johnsonshiue
in reply to: Jackson1967

Hi! The behavior does not sound right to me. The machine spec looks Ok. It should not take that long. A few things I would like to check.

1) Have you installed 2018.1 Update plus 2018.1.2 Update?

2) Could you clean up files in %temp5?

3) Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Hardware -> check Performance.

4) Go to Tools -> Application Options -> Assembly -> uncheck Enable Express mode if you don't use cache graphics.

5) Is graphics driver up-to-date?

After all above is done and the issue still persists, please share the files with us (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 20
Jackson1967
in reply to: johnsonshiue

The updates are in fact installed. Build 171, Release 2018.1.2 8/24/2017.

I don't know what you mean for %temp5. Is that a folder that is used to cache information? Where would it likely be? A search on my machine did not show anything.

Hardware says "Diagnostics" and that checks out okay. See attachment.

The video driver is up to date. See Attachment.

The Enable Express is already unchecked. See Attachment.

The files are many and vaulted (content center and parts libraries) so would be extremely hard to get to you. I could pack and go but this would be extensive. And I would be unable to get it through the mail.

Like I said it is a large application.

Message 4 of 20
Jackson1967

I should also tell you that this is typical with at least three separate users seeing the same results with very similar computer setups.

Message 5 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! Sorry for the fat finger! It should be %temp%. Go to File Explorer and type in %temp%. It would lead you to the system temp folder. Please clean up the files there.

In terms of the hardware, the spec looks fine to me, although the system RAM 16GB just meets the minimum for Inventor 2018. When you did the process, were there other processes running?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 20
Jackson1967

Okay cache was emptied. The performance is the same. I also have a user with 32 GB Ram that is exhibiting the same behavior.

The other services running are just Windows and Office 365. Nothing that would appear to be a memory hog.

Message 7 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi! I will need to see the files in order to comment further. If possible, please share the files on a cloud drive of your choice (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com). I am more than happy to take a look and understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 20
Yijiang.Cai

Could you share some details that what job the iLogic application will do for over 1000 parts and 40000 instances? So we could have more info on the difference between R2016 and R2018?

Thanks,
River Cai

Inventor Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Email: River-Yijiang.Cai@autodesk.com
Message 9 of 20
Jackson1967
in reply to: Yijiang.Cai

The app will switch the product from size to size using component replace from both the content center and a parts library. In addition there are many parametric parts that grow accordingly using parameter linking and parameter value passing in the ilogic routines.

The top assembly has roughly 10 layers of sub-assemblies with all of the sub-assemblies having their own ilogic routines. It is large because the product is complex. It is integrated with our vault in both the application and the external rules. In addition we have created a dll application that we use to tie it to our parts system.

The app is virtually impossible to share with this forum because it is also integrated with our custom content center families and common VBA macros stored in our default.ivb file. In short, to get it to work, you would need our content center files, our parts library, and our vaulted external rules and vba macros.

We are presently using some timed data file entries from the ilogic to try to pinpoint what function is really being affected by the change to 2018.

One thing we have found is that the run rate is significantly affected by the total files loaded when running the app in version 2018.1.2. We know this because we can trigger the lower level ilogic rules by changing specific parameters manually. It's starting feel like we can't use all of our available RAM thus causing page files and the harddrives slowing Inventor but I am just guessing.

Message 10 of 20
bob_holland

@Jackson1967

Had Three thoughts on this:

1. I would suggest that you install 2018.2 that was released today.
  2. I agree with Johnson that Windows 10 takes more ram than Windows 7 (test on a machine with 32gb of RAM)
    • With Windows 10, some video cards are being allowed to reserve and use up to 1/2 of your system memory.
    • If this is the case then your may be down to a  8gb machine.
  3. The next is to get everything from vault and then use Inventor 2018 with Single User Project file the is configured the same way at your Vault IPJ
    • This will take Vault our of the equation.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 11 of 20
Jackson1967
in reply to: bob_holland

We have the same results with a machine using 32 GB of RAM.

We rely on the Vault project to work component replace from the content center using iLogic. If the files are not on your local machine than it will get the file from vault to your hard drive and then replace.

We could try to find all the files that it needs and get them first to test using a single user project. I'll give it a try.

Also see the attachment below. We get regular Inventor failures that appear to be based on not reading or writing virtual memory.

Message 12 of 20
Jackson1967

And we are freshly updated to 2018.2

Message 13 of 20
Jackson1967

How would you recommend determining whether Inventor has all the RAM memory it can use?

Message 14 of 20
bob_holland

@Jackson1967

The short answer is that your system will continue to provide Inventor with as much memory as it asks for until there is no more.

I will recognize when you run out because your system will shutdown.

What happens before that is that your system will start to use your available hard-disk space for ram.

This is usually noted with a decrease in performance.  Access to disk is much slower than RAM.

The performance tab in the Windows Task Manager will tell you how much of your physical memory you are using are any given time.

So you can't test with out Vault.

then can you make sure that you have install the Vault 2018.1 update.

Thank you.

Bob Holland
Autodesk Product Support
Message 15 of 20
Jackson1967

we actually have to 2018.2 update as I said above.

Did you look at the error statement above? This would seem to indicate that there is trouble writing or reading to the virtual disk.IE hard disk? Even though the RAM monitor says we have free RAM memory. Should we not see almost zero free memory if the system is using space on the hard drive?

Message 16 of 20
Jackson1967

My bad. I thought you meant Inventor. Sorry, I am getting frustrated.

I'll check on the Vault Server upgrades. Or do you mean the vault client?

But, my system has not shown any 2018 vault updates and I'm still at Build 23.0.76.0. See the attachment.

Message 17 of 20
johnsonshiue

Hi Scott,

Just to double-check with you, 2018.2 Update was just released yesterday. You do have it installed, right? I am not talking about 2018.1.2 Update. Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 18 of 20
Jackson1967

Yes we have installed yesterdays Inventor update to 2018.2.

We have not seen the Vault 2018.1 upgrade in our Autodesk Desktop App for some reason.

Message 19 of 20
Jackson1967

Update: We have located the Vault 2018.1 patches and will be deploying them this weekend when we can minimize our user disruption.

Message 20 of 20
JMGunnar

Problem if you use Ilogic with vault it's  will check every 

part you replace thats its exist in vault

every parts 3 sek 

4000 Parts

4000*3 = 3,5 hour

when we konfiguration we need too log off 

too speed up 

small assembly with vault  1 minut 

small assembly with out vault  10 sek

Johan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report