Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IDW file and flat pattern

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
1147 Views, 9 Replies

IDW file and flat pattern

I want to make flat pattern of this part in the *.idw file. But this section is in gray colour. Is it possible to make it in IDW file without going to IPT file?  

DW.png 

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack
in reply to: Anonymous

fiatnm wrote:

I want to make flat pattern of this part in the *.idw file. But this section is in gray colour.

Hi fiatnm,

Unfortunately, there is not a way to change from a folded view to a flat pattern view once it's created. You'll need to create a new view and choose the flat pattern option (and then delete the other view if it no longer needed.)

fiatnm wrote:

Is it possible to make in IDW file without going to IPT?   

You can right click on the existing view and choose Open, and that will take you to the IPT, so that you do not have to browser for it. But I don't know of a way to create a new view from the IDW without either browsing for the IPT or having it Open.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Edit: I misinterpreted your question, so please disregard my comments.

But JDMather understood it: there is not flat pattern in the model.

So you can create one as described at this link:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-79F202CF-B5D1-4B6C-B945-27248FB804C2

Message 3 of 10
JDMather

Open your Chassis.ipt file.

Do you see a Flat Pattern node in the part browser?

You can't create a drawing view of something that doesn't exist.

Once  you have created a Flat Pattern in the part file, that button will no longer be grayed out in drawing view placement.

(I opened your files in 2017, so my screen looks slightly different than your 2015 screen.)

Flat Pattern.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

Dimensions are differing from that is given in the assignment. When I subtract my dimension from thickness it is coming closer to assignment dimension.  

a.png              as.png

Message 5 of 10
mdavis22569

@Anonymous wrote:

Dimensions are differing from that is given in the assignment.

a.png              as.png

Why?

Did you use the same unfold rule?   did they use a different one?

groninger.JPG

Did you use the same edge as they did in the assignment?    

Various reasons ....

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Unfold rule is not given in the assignment. I have to come to conclusion from trial and error method.
Message 7 of 10
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:
Unfold rule is not given in the assignment. I have to come to conclusion from trial and error method.

Hi fiatnm,

I used this calculator to get close to what your assignment's flat pattern used for the K-factor:

http://knac.co.nz/calculator/

It gave me a factor of 1.55 (which Inventor would want input as 0.155), but that was for only one bend.

Your assignment had 2 bends in the overall length, so I adjusted the K-factor to 0.165 and the resulting length came out correct at 11.869, I didn't check the width.

K factor = the imaginary line in the sheet metal where the metal neither contracts or expands when bent.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Thank you very much for your help for giving me appropriate K Factor. Dimension is coming correctly.

Thanks for the explaining what K Factor mean.

I surveyed books written by you. I like e-books. I couldn’t find any e-books written by you.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

Flat pattern cannot be saved electronically. But it is asked to submit. How it can be done?

fdrawing.png

Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

I am able to save please ignore above request.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report