Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iAssembly error - "Excel installation is required for this operation" - on one specific file

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
ryanl7Q37Q
442 Views, 9 Replies

iAssembly error - "Excel installation is required for this operation" - on one specific file

Hello all,

I am having trouble editing an iAssembly that I created. When I try to open a different instance within the iAssembly, I get the following error message: "Excel installation is required for this operation. Failed to launch Excel." When I try to change a component within the active instance I get the following error message: "failed to export desel table".

I have Excel 2019, 64 Bit, and Inventor 2023.1.1 installed. I can create and edit other iPart and iAssembly files without issue. The problem is only with this one specific file. Is there any way to re-link or recover this file? Or at least recover the spreadsheet file that I could copy into a new iAssembly? I tried looking for the excel file being referenced, but I don't see any saved where I save my iAssembly files. 

Tags (3)
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Gabriel_Watson
in reply to: ryanl7Q37Q

Try this:
"Look for iLogic rules in the subassemblies and parts and check if deactivating these rules improves the situation."
More here:
https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/Error-Excel-instal...
Message 3 of 10
ryanl7Q37Q
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Thanks for the link, but suppressing the iLogic rule did not fix the issue. I also tried having someone else open the file on a different computer. The problem is still present. 

Message 4 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! Usually it means Inventor.exe is blocked from launching Excel.exe or it could not find Excel.exe for some reason. Try a few things to see if it helps.

1) Make sure all critical Windows updates and Office updates are installed.

2) Install the applicable Inventor updates.

3) Right-click on Inventor desktop icon -> Properties -> Compatibility -> check "Run as Admin."

4) Lastly, uninstall MS Office and reinstall it.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 10
ryanl7Q37Q
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi,

I updated, installed, and reinstalled everything I could. I also tried the Run as Admin tool.

I still cannot edit the iAssembly table.

Also, on the manage tab, I went to "Insert Object" and created a new Microsoft Excel Worksheet within this iAssembly file. I can open and edit this new spreadsheet without issue.

Message 6 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi Ryan,

Does it apply to any iAssembly or one particular iAssembly?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 10
ryanl7Q37Q
in reply to: johnsonshiue

I am only having this problem with one specific file.

Message 8 of 10
A.Acheson

Sounds like corruption. Can you perform save as on the file and delete the iassembly keys and try again? You can't access the iassembly excel table but can you get to the iassembly table? 

If this solved a problem, please click (accept) as solution.‌‌‌‌
Or if this helped you, please, click (like)‌‌
Regards
Alan
Message 9 of 10
ryanl7Q37Q
in reply to: A.Acheson

I made a copy of the iAssembly file, deleted the iAssembly table, then re-authored it as an iAssembly and I can now create a new iAssembly table within this file. This is a good step in the right direction. Thanks.

Could there be any other way to access the table from the original corrupt file? Either to copy data, or at least view it as I re-make the new file? In the corrupt file the Edit Table button in the right-click menu has disappeared. The only option was Edit Via Spreadsheet which gives the error message when I click on it. I did some digging and found that when an iAssembly excel spreadsheet is open, it is saved in a temp folder on my computer. However, when I exit out of the file, the temp save is deleted. Is there any way to keep that external save file in the future as a backup?

Message 10 of 10
johnsonshiue

Hi! I am not sure if the corrupted table can be recovered. Please feel free to send the iAssembly file to me directly johnson.shiue@autodesk.com. I would like to take a look and understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report