Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.iam Update Issue

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
ASchlaack
830 Views, 24 Replies

.iam Update Issue

I'm just trying to change the length of a bar from 84" to 82" and when I do that in the part file it works just find and I can save it no problem. But I have an assemboly with that same part in it, when I open up the assemboly and update it the bar itself won't update and change length.

I've had this same issue witha few parts lately right after I did the lastest Inventor update. Is anyone else having thi issue and is there a fix for it?

Thanks

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Dell Windows 8.1 64 bit Intel(R) Xeon(R) @ 3.50GHz 32GB Ram
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
mdavis22569
in reply to: ASchlaack

Do you have defer updates on? Go to Manage and rebuild up ..will it update then?

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 3 of 25
ASchlaack
in reply to: mdavis22569

That didn't work. Even if I delete the part and place it back into the assemboly the same remains 84" instead of the 82" the part file is.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 4 of 25
Anonymous

Hi again Aaron,

Don't suppose you can zip us the .iam with the .ipt in it can you? I think I get the issue but I'd like to see it if I could.

Thanks,

Message 5 of 25
ASchlaack
in reply to: Anonymous

Hey again, no I can't really send you the file just for the reason it's a project for my job so I can't send it out. I wish I could because that would make it alot easier.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 6 of 25
mcgyvr

Are you 100% sure its the same file..

Open the part through the assembly and see if its the correct length..

Anything else special about this part.. ipart maybe?

Any chance you are working in this assembly in the new express mode?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 25
ASchlaack
in reply to: mcgyvr

What's the new epress mode? I do know that this is the correct file because I did open it how you said to through the.iam

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 8 of 25
mcgyvr

@ASchlaack wrote:

What's the new epress mode? I do know that this is the correct file because I did open it how you said to through the.iam

And I assume it was the correct length when you opened it through the iam?

Open it through the iam then try a rebuild all on the ipt then save again.. Then go back into the iam and do and update and rebuild all..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 9 of 25
ASchlaack

http://screencast.com/t/jU1iqiqPM

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 10 of 25
Anonymous

Expresss mode loads when you have an assembly with a large enough part count (set in your application settings). This is a possiblity for why your part doesn't appear to update. I also aggree with mcgyvr that you'd want to be absolutely sure that the part you're editing is, in fact, the one used in the assembly.

In regards to my request, would you be able to make a copy of the .iam then delete out all other parts except for the one your having issues with and zip those two files? I get that the rest is sensitive information but if the problem is none of the aformentioned issues, then I'm not sure what to suggest without seeing the model.

Thanks,

EDIT: Sorry if this post is a little out-dated. I started writing and had to step away from the forum for a minute.

Message 11 of 25
ASchlaack
in reply to: Anonymous

Will, I attached the .ipt file alone here. I did this because even if you put it into a completely new .iam the length issue I showed in that Jing screencast still occures. So with this file you could just throw it into a new .iam. Thanks again!

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 12 of 25

Hi ASchlaack,

From the Jing video, it appears you have an iAssembly (assembly configuration) and that the part you're changing is an iPart (part configuration). To change the iPart to a different size from the assembly, expand the part node in the browser and right-click the table icon, and then select Change Component. Then select the size you want.

Autodesk Inventor iPart Change Member.png

But keep in mind that by changing from one iPart member to another in the iAssembly, you will only be changing one member/configuration of that iAssembly.

I can't determine your familiarity with iAssemblies and iParts, so if this all sounds unfamiliar to you, then you might want to stop and have a chat with the person in your office who set up these configured models, or read up on iAssemblies and iParts.

iPart Fundamentals:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-DD9F389B-4B23-482A-A46E-4CA71101658A

iAssembly Fundamentals:

http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2014/ENU/?guid=GUID-6E529299-CAB9-4F5C-B100-7901D877B83F

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 13 of 25

Curtis, I am aware that it's an iPart. I changed the iPart table in the .ipt to get it to reach its correct length.

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 14 of 25

@ASchlaack wrote:

Curtis, I am aware that it's an iPart. I changed the iPart table in the .ipt to get it to reach its correct length.

Hi ASchlaack,

You will need to change the iPart member in the iAssembly by using the Change Component option as shown in the previous illustration. Or edit the iAssembly table and change the Table Replace value for that iPart.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 15 of 25
mcgyvr

@ASchlaack wrote:

Good that you were aware its an ipart.. we weren't until now.. 

You should have included that at the beginning of those post or after we asked about if it was or not.

IF you simply edited the 84" member row and made it an 82" you need to right click on the members in the model browser and "generate members"..

Then it will update in your model.

IF you added a new row/ipart then you need to replace component as Curtis has said. 

ANYTIME I edit an ipart or iassembly I do a rebuild all.. and generate members then save.

Message 16 of 25
Curtis_Waguespack

Hi ASchlaack,

In reading mcgyvr's reply, it occurs to me now that you were likely changing the length of an iPart member (rather than changing bewteen 2 members of different lengths), in which case his suggestion to generate the member file again is probably spot on.

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 17 of 25
ASchlaack

Where is the "generate models" I right clicked on the tree an dit didn't come up....

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 18 of 25

Hi ASchlaack,

To generate the iPart member files select one or more of the members in the browser under the Table node, and then right click and choose Generate Files.

Here is a related link that discusses the "whys" of generating iPart member files:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-General-Discussion/generate-ipart-files-why/td-p/3010876

image from http://underthehood-autodesk.typepad.com

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Message 19 of 25

What would cause my generate model selection to be ghosted so I can't select it?

Thanks,
Aaron Schlaack
Autodesk Inventor 2018
Message 20 of 25

@ASchlaack wrote:

What would cause my generate model selection to be ghosted so I can't select it?

Hi ASchlaack,

The first thing that comes to mind is that the members files or folder is read only, but that's just a guess.

Typically the iPart members are generated to a subfolder of the same name that resides in the same folder as the iPart factory file.

For example if the iPart factory file resides at C:\Temp\, such as this:

C:\Temp\Flywheel.ipt

then the iPart members would be in this folder:

C:\Temp\Flywheel\

I hope this helps.
Curtis

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report