Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a unit problem, the room is in metric but the girders are US Welding.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
WEISMAT
275 Views, 7 Replies

I have a unit problem, the room is in metric but the girders are US Welding.

Hi Friends,

I try to design a shelf made by US L-Girders/Iron-Angles in inches into a laboratory with metric design. Because our company is half Russian half US. When I try to insert a girder into my shelf, only metric shows up. The Assembly is in us units but they show me millimeter parts only.

I tried to change the units via Tool. No way.

Have you an idea?

Thx

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
SBix26
in reply to: WEISMAT

Are you trying to use structural shapes from the Content Center?  Then you will need to edit your project, click on the Configure Content Center Libraries button, and add a checkmark next to the Inventor ANSI library. 

If it is not available in that list, then you will need to install it: in Control Panel > Programs and Features, right click on "Autodesk Inventor Content Center Libraries 20xx (Desktop Content)" and select Change; go through the wizard and make sure the ANSI library is selected for install.  Then go back to the Project Editor and select it.

These change instructions assume that you're using Desktop Content rather than Vault, and are specific to Windows 7.  I expect that Windows 10 would be similar, but not identical.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
Frederick_Law
in reply to: SBix26

Same here Canada metric using US material all the time.

Make sure standards you need are activated/enabled.

I set all my templates to inch.  Only change unit in drawing if I need to.

Message 4 of 8
johnsonshiue

Hi! Inventor supports mixed unit modeling, because it is a true-scale modeler. All geometry measures the same regardless of units. The display unit control is within each document. If you want to see part unit in certain unit, you need to open the part and go to Tools -> Doc Settings -> Units. The assembly Doc Settings only control the geometry created at assembly level (assembly sketch and assembly features), not the component geometry created in other files.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 5 of 8
WEISMAT
in reply to: Frederick_Law

In other words: There is no fast solution, right?

Message 6 of 8
WEISMAT
in reply to: SBix26

Just I tried it with the installation. Inventor crashed then, better expression "frozen". My computer is a newer ACER lap.

About your answer: That's right, I have a room in metric and I like to install US-L-Angle girders in an assembly for a shelf, while I am in a metric room with content center. The reason is, I have to look on the limits/borders, because we have windows and wire channels. It makes in my case not sense, when I design the shelf separately, so I have to use the metric room (metric) , I activate the shelf ( inches) and TRY to insert US-Girders. Question: Is there another way without installation of something?

The only way I see @ the moment is, that I calculate all US-Girders in mm and save this in the Ansi library.

Because the Inventor is a try for my department. Our company has Inventor already. But not my department. I like to show my supervisor how easy Inventor is, because CATIA and NX is in view of the price inacceptable. I like to remodeling our laboratory like what I did for BWM Munich with CATIA V5.

I need a fast solution without connecting Autodesk directly. It is forbidden @ our company for purchase secret.

Message 7 of 8
WHolzwarth

Perhaps your filter in CC is set to DIN or anything else. A test with ANSI filter here shows inch dimensions.

Walter Holzwarth

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
WEISMAT
in reply to: WHolzwarth

Thanks but I messed up the whole assembly. I deleted it and start new. Thanks again.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report