Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to work on this plane/face?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
vidar_hetlelid
320 Views, 13 Replies

How to work on this plane/face?

Hello,

I'm trying to select these planes to work on, but I cant select them... How can I do that?

vidar_hetlelid_1-1721314210276.png

I've tried to ad a plane, but when I extrude a circle nothing happens..  See attached video.

Labels (1)
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mikejones
in reply to: vidar_hetlelid

Can you share the part file?

Mike

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 14
vidar_hetlelid
in reply to: mikejones

Sure, part is attached 🙂

Message 4 of 14

How did you create the 'Fins' on your part? i do not have Inventor 2025, so i can't see your model tree. but I'm not able to select the face to place a feature. depending on the strategy you used, it may not register that face as a surface. this is only speculation for me at this point.

Message 5 of 14

Well, i made started with a 2D sketch, made from a circular pattern. Then I extruded it:

vidar_hetlelid_0-1721316125886.png

Message 6 of 14

can you try something for me?,

Go back and create 1 fin from the 2s sketch. then extrude that sketch, and add your hole on that face. then pattern the competed component.

when you use the pattern tool you cannot edit a child of that pattern.

Message 7 of 14
mikejones

Ok, So looking at your model, you have a sketch on plane 3 which you are extruding towards the centre of the rotor 7mm. currently you are trying to add that sketch profile to the rotor hence no change in the model. Presumably you're wanting to remove 7mm of material from the rotor  in which case you need to change the boolean option from Join to Cut; see the image below, the circled icon is Join and the one to the right of it is cut. 

If you want to add to the rotor then I presume you want to extrude out and away from the centre in which case switch the direction with the arrows above the 7mm distance entry.

mikejones_0-1721316333258.png

Mike

Message 8 of 14
vidar_hetlelid

Hi there,

Ive tried that 😕  I did as follows:

vidar_hetlelid_0-1721316618752.png

And the result is this:

vidar_hetlelid_1-1721316635045.png

Message 9 of 14

Sorry a few typos,

when editing a child of a pattern you can do that, but its a tricky operation. also can you send me a shot of your pattern dialog box please.

Message 10 of 14
mikejones

What is it that you're trying to achieve? is it a cut feature or add material to the rotor?

Message 11 of 14
vidar_hetlelid

I want to cut material from the rotor/finns 🙂

Message 12 of 14
mikejones

So, you need to select the cut icon to the right of the join icon that I circled. The circled one is Join.

Message 13 of 14
3DAli

@vidar_hetlelid 

you can only create a sketch on flat/planar faces, those faces are round with a large radius close to almost flat but not 100 percent planar, the only way you can add a feature to those is by sketching on a workplace and extrude to that round face.

Adding :

3DAli_0-1721324331865.png

Removing:

3DAli_3-1721324552685.png

3DAli_2-1721324417188.png

Make sure when using cut, do it in both directions, cause there is material on both sides of your work plane, and if you just cut inward, the cut won't show since it's blocked with the material on the outside of the work plane.

Hope this helps

Ali

Signature_Small
Message 14 of 14

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report