Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use precise input with move in sketch?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
j.pavlicek
1715 Views, 6 Replies

How to use precise input with move in sketch?

Hello,
I have to admit, I don't have an idea how to use precise input with move tool in sketch enviroment properly. I think I have tired all possible combinations, but it doesn't work for me.

I want to move selection (base point, to be exact) to X=0, Y=0 (absolute coordinates - in ACAD _move #0,0).

1. Ok, coordinates filled-in. Just hit done and it has to work. Nope.
    Just hitting done.Just hitting done.
  2. What about hitting enter after filling-in coordinates?
    Trying to confirm position by ENTER.Trying to confirm position by ENTER.
  3. Maybe context (right-click) menu?
    Trying to confirm position by context menu (righ-click).Trying to confirm position by context menu (righ-click).
  4. UGH... Maybe input with delta will be working. Just trying...
    Maybe delta works...Maybe delta works...
  5. Hey it's locked on filled positon. What about left-click to confirm placement? Error, because constraints. But it could be moved freely! (Yes, text is constrained to polygon centre, but it is not excuse!)Trying to place it by left-click when coordinates are filled-in. Error, byt it could be moved freely.Trying to place it by left-click when coordinates are filled-in. Error, byt it could be moved freely.

Ok, I'm done. Please help!

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: j.pavlicek

Hi Pavel,

Your English is perfect. Don't worry about it! The workflow to relocate a sketch precisely can be cumbersome in Inventor (compared to AutoCAD). It is because Inventor sketch is dimension and constraint based. The absolute location may not matter. It is all about relative location. Could you tell me why dimensions and constraints are not helpful in 2D sketch?

Another workflow you may consider is to create sketch blocks. In sketch environment, right-click on the ribbon -> Show Panels -> check Layout. You can create sketch blocks for reusing purpose. The entire block moves like a rigid body like Block Reference in AutoCAD.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 7
j.pavlicek
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hello,
At first, thanks to reply. I try to explain it more:

TL;DR: I need some reliable way how to place point of the unconstrained sketch to origin. (To place using Move tool and projected origin seems not to be reliable). [end of TL;DR]

In the images above is sketch symbol and I wanted it in 0,0 because more beacause my OCD then something else.

BUT I'd like to use the precious positioning when placing pasted DWG data into sketch. It's really CTRL+C; CTRL+V, because link to DWG is unwanted. These DWG data are some (more or less) raw sketch created from old (often damaged) paper drawing. I create some "skeleton" sketch based on this data.

Problem is when DWG is not placed precisely. There isn't any dimension only some constraints (coincident) in the pasted data and when I start to add them it moves with affected geometry and changes round dimensions in not-yet-constrained pasted data for me (round dimension is very often dimension based on dimension written in old drawing - it's more relevant then other)

Better to explain on example:
I have "raw DWG" data of an rotational part. Paste them into Sketch then then start to constraining and dimensioning. Yes, I can to fully constraint the sketch to it's axis, but because this axis is not constrained lines keep to be green (not fully constrained).  Also I'm rounding/changing some dimensions during this sketch creation and there (as far as | know) is no mechanism in Inventor to determine which line will stay on it's place and which will be moved when constraint is added. So it can't easily break the "fragile geometry" of the inserted data.

Yes, there is workaround:

• To fully constrain (by dimensions to the origin / Fix coinstraint) the axis before adding any other dimension/constraint.
    Yes, is possible to work with axis not place in the origin, but I'm used to make rotational parts always around axis Z (it helps when creating another concentric geometry, circular patterns etc.). Yes, I can fully constrain the sketch ad then place make axis free and place it to the desired position without destroying rest of the sketch, but very often I need to do some priority work (and have axis in origin) when the sketch is not fully constrained yet.)
  • Create sketch block with fully constrained axis, then constraint the block to the origin (using the axis) and add all constraints inside the block.
    BUT this add another step - to edit block every time when something changes (based on measurements).

I'd like to place the CAD data, move it to origin and then start to constraining and dimensioning (make axis constrained to the real origin without).

I tried it by placing data, use Move tool and select point on Data, then select the origin, BUT sometime it places it only very close to origin. (And then original Ø500 becomes Ø500,5 - for me it's sign that this dimension is guessed an could be slightly changed. This initially small error could make long chain and get bigger and bigger in every step.)

Inventor 2022, Windows 10 Pro
Sorry for bad English.
Message 4 of 7
BP-OZ
in reply to: j.pavlicek

Hi, 

I understand your frustration. The move (and copy) in sketch is pointless. I can't get it to work. I know there are other ways, constraints etc. So what's the point of the move command?

Delta x y and z would be nice. I don't use coordinates. 

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue
in reply to: BP-OZ

Hi Folks,

If possible, please share an example that exhibits the exact issue. Precise Input is available when you create new sketch geometry or Move the sketch. You can enter the absolute values or delta values. Either should work.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7

Hello j.pavlicek,

I ran into the same problem as you. the Move/Copy feature is indeed really frustrating and useless.

I solve the problem by creating a rectangular pattern. See picture.

guillermocasasfojo_0-1683794465277.png

Message 7 of 7

Use dimensions and geometry constraints.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report