Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update patterned elements?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
ben358
229 Views, 4 Replies

How to update patterned elements?

Context: I have patterned a component.

Action: I adjust the parent component in some way - I change the visibility of a plane, or I overwrite the BOM structure to reference.

Result: Only the parent component is affected.

Surely there is a way to refresh the rest of the pattern, so that they all receive this change? The only way I can do it is delete the pattern and redo it after I've made the change to the parent.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Lucas.dolinarVFXZU
in reply to: ben358

Edit the part and not the instance, or, if needed, edit the pattern? (via selection filters)

Message 3 of 5
ben358

If I want to override the BOM structure to make it reference (I.e. right-click instance > BOM structure > reference (which means it will only be treated as a reference part in this assembly)), then I can't do that by editing the part rather than the instance.

Message 4 of 5
Lucas.dolinarVFXZU

well, while not perfect:
select pattern(s) > isolate > box select everything (selection filter set to parts) > ...

> undo isolate

Message 5 of 5
SBix26

Even easier, perhaps: expand the pattern in the browser then multi-select them there.  You'll have to Expand all Children in order to select them, which on a large pattern makes for a very long browser list, but pick the first, then scroll down and Shift-click the last one, and it will only select the actual components, not the rest of the stuff.  Then make your BOM Structure change.

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2023.0.1 | Windows 10 Home 21H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report