Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Sweep in 3D in a given geometry

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
AstroPhysChem
534 Views, 6 Replies

How to Sweep in 3D in a given geometry

Hello, I would like to connect two parts using two wires coming out from a coil, but I failed in do so. I attempted to apply Sweep option but found it extremely hard to connect the two part as they have 3D positions (and directions), at least for as new in Inventor.

I tried to create points in the 3D space linking the two parts, saving them in Excell and then importing them, but this could not work (probably because the I failed to get a perfectly perpendicular Spline on the surface disc).

Any help please ?

Many thanks!

Tags (2)
Labels (3)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Hi

Pack and attach the entire project. The assembly file only describes the relationships but does not show the geometry.

Kacper Suchomski

EESignature

YouTube - Inventor tutorials | WWW | LinkedIn | Instagram

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

Message 3 of 7

The easiest way of sweeping an "organic" 3D-spline is to add a work plane at the end of it using Normal to Curve at Point.

EdvinTailwind_0-1684737350621.png

On this new plane you can create the profile you want to sweep.

EdvinTailwind_1-1684737487659.png

...or you can connect a second 3D-spline to the end of it, and then use a Tangent constraint to make them connect nicely. (I hope my illustrations make some sense... 😄)

EdvinTailwind_2-1684737694892.png

And of course, the Work Plane can be added to one of the "outer" ends of the splines instead. 

Message 4 of 7

Thank you very much. Sorry , it doesn't allow me to insert the "ipj" project. Here I attach the two part I want to connect which are not in the same planes (in all the 3D planes).

TwoParts3D.png

I need to connect the two ends of the coil to the top and bottom of a capacitor but in a way that I control from where the wires should go as I have a specific overall geometry and mechanical parts that surround these two parts.

Ideally I want to build a 4 or 6 points in the space linking each ends of the wire, and make a spline from them (which I know how to do it). And then sweep the spline to build the wire (of course the surface ends of the wire should nicely fits on the surfaces of the capacitor and the coil) which I have huge trouble with so far.

TwoParts3D_wires.png

Message 5 of 7

3D-sketches that attach to the two parts is the easiest way to go here. One spline for each connector, with 4-6 vertices should be just fine. You might want/need to add Work Points to your parts before, to make sure they start and stop and the correct positions. Then use Include Geometry when you start drawing your spline in the new part.

Message 6 of 7

Thank you very much, that worked for me. The "include geometry was indeed a very important point in the process. I have noticed as well that I needed to draw first a vertical line on my shape (circle), then attach another spline as you suggested (all in the include geometry indeed) and then sweep between the two ends. I got this at the begining:

SweepWorked.png

The end towards the coil was not perfect (as I started from the other end). I tried then using points in the space to guide the spline (by creating shifted planes) and also I included a last point before the end to coil as is colinear with the axis perpendiculat to the surface of the coil. The sweep was so much better.

SweepWorked2.png

Thank you very much again.

AstroPhysChem_0-1684766854733.png

Message 7 of 7

You're welcome! Happy to help! 

Tip: you can do the coil and the connections in the same sweep. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report