Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to subtract solid bodies in Inventor 2022

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JamesH7790
591 Views, 4 Replies

How to subtract solid bodies in Inventor 2022

I am trying to use the assembly workspace to cut out a shaped crevasse in a solid block. I have seen some old tutorials from around 2015 that have a different user interface to 2022, and their methodologies don't seem to translate to the newer version of Inventor. For example here, when I double click on the sold I would like to modify, instead or remaining in the assembly f...

I have attached my files, the assembly file is orientated the way that I need, I just need to subtract the smaller object from the larger object (1've made the larger object transparent).

Capture.PNG

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, it seems like it should be a standard function.

I've tried "Copy" under the "Pattern" category in the "Assemble" tab as link above used the copy function, under the "Modify" category in the "3D Model" tab; but it is completely different to the tutorial.

Cheers

James

Labels (3)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blandb
in reply to: JamesH7790

This is missing the "Assembled Shambles.iam".

But typically In the assembly, edit the part you want to make the subtraction from in context of the assembly, then just use the copy object command to bring in the item you want to use as the subtract body as a surface. Now you can open that part up independently and use the surface as a sculpt tool. You may have to patch some holes for it to work, but I am not certain of the overall intent.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
Gabriel_Watson

You will need to first bring the solids into a single part to execute a Boolean/cut operation like that. Inventor cannot do the subtraction of bodies within the Assembly environment.

Galaxybane_0-1656004199846.png

Galaxybane_1-1656004222290.png

Galaxybane_2-1656004270580.png

Message 4 of 5
JamesH7790
in reply to: Gabriel_Watson

Thank you, definitely moved me forward with what I need to achieve.

When I use the "Combine" method, or the "Sculpt" method (after converting one of the bodies to a surface), I get the following errors:

1. "The attempted operation did not produce meaningful intersection edges from the face-face intersection. Try with different inputs."

2. "The feature as specified did not change the number of faces (and may not have affected the part). Accept the feature that resulted, or use Edit Sketch or Edit Feature to change the feature definition."

I am unsure about what it is about my geometries that is preventing the operation.

Message 5 of 5
johnsonshiue

Hi! It seems that the 4 channels in the main solid are causing the Boolean operation to fail. I used Delete Face (enabled Heal) to remove the channels. Then the subtraction works.

Please take a look at the attached part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report