Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set in Inventor so that the dimension appears underline when there is a break

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
dusan.naus.trz
376 Views, 7 Replies

How to set in Inventor so that the dimension appears underline when there is a break

How to set in Inventor so that the dimension appears underline when there is a break?

ČSN EN ISO 5456 - 2

https://www.n-i-s.cz/cz/zobrazovani-nabytku/page/592/

When Break View is used, the underlined dimension value is used. See attached image

2024-06-05_08h06_20.png

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
CGBenner
in reply to: dusan.naus.trz

@dusan.naus.trz 

Hello! I'm not seeing a specific option to set this in the Styles Manager.  You may need to create a new Dimension Style for this situation, which has the text underlined, and then manually select it for dimensions in these areas.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?  Good luck.

Chris Benner
Industry Community Manager – Design & Manufacturing

If a response answers your question, please use  ACCEPT SOLUTION  to assist other users later.

Also be generous with Likes!  Thank you and enjoy!

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider
Inventor/Beta Feedback Project
Message 3 of 8
dusan.naus.trz
in reply to: CGBenner

Hello,

Thank you. I create New dimension style. It would be useful to automate this.

2024-06-07_17h25_58.png

I create Ideas https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-ideas/drawing-dimension-appears-underline-when-there-is-a-br...

Message 4 of 8
dusan.naus.trz

If I modify the Dimension. The underline will not appear. Please fix it, it's a bug. What do you think?

2024-06-07_18h10_10.png

Message 5 of 8

Hi! The behavior is indeed a bit confusing. However, the dimension text is driven by the text style referenced by the given dimension style. By default, it is the Note Text style. You may enable the underline in the style. Then the dimension value text will be underlined.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 8

You can also solve it automatically, using the measure and "underline" trick with the following iLogic macro:

'Underline "broken" dimensions - a tip from www.cadforum.cz
Sub Main()
  Dim oDoc As DrawingDocument
  oDoc = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument
  Dim oSheet As Sheet
  oSheet = oDoc.ActiveSheet
  Dim Scl As Double ' View Scale

Dim oDim As DrawingDimension
  For Each oDim In oSheet.DrawingDimensions
	Dim oView As DrawingView
	Select Case oDim.Type
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kLinearGeneralDimensionObject, ObjectTypeEnum.kAngularGeneralDimensionObject
		 oView = oDim.IntentOne.Geometry.Parent
	Case ObjectTypeEnum.kRadiusGeneralDimensionObject, ObjectTypeEnum.kDiameterGeneralDimensionObject
		 oView = oDim.Intent.Geometry.Parent
	End Select

Scl = oView.Scale
    Dim d As Double
    d = dist(oDim.DimensionLine.StartPoint.Y, oDim.DimensionLine.StartPoint.X, _
			 oDim.DimensionLine.EndPoint.Y, oDim.DimensionLine.EndPoint.X)
    d = d / Scl
    If Math.Round(d,4) <> Math.Round(oDim.ModelValue,4) Then ' equal?
      'oDoc.SelectSet.Select(oDim)
	  If Not oDim.Text.FormattedText.Contains("<br/> \U+0305") Then 'was: <StyleOverride Underline='True'>
         'oDim.Text.FormattedText = "<StyleOverride Underline='True'> <DimensionValue/> </StyleOverride>"
         oDim.Text.FormattedText = "<DimensionValue/><br/> \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 \U+0305 "
      End If
    End If

Next
End Sub

Function dist(y1 As Double, x1 As Double, y2 As Double, x2 As Double)
  dist = Sqrt((y1 - y2) ^ 2 + (x1 - x2) ^ 2)
End Function

Vladimir Michl, www.arkance-systems.cz  -  www.cadforum.cz

Message 7 of 8

Unbelievable. That's very interesting. Thank you.

Message 8 of 8
dusan.naus.trz

@CGBenner and @johnsonshiue 

After reading the current standard ISO 129-1, THE UNDERLINED DIMENSIONS ARE NOT INDICATED ANYWHERE after using Break in the view.
We do not require this functionality. It was a unique case with a customer. We won't use it anymore. The existing functionality contained in Inventor is correct.
The ČSN EN ISO 5456 - 2 standard only talks about the projection of component views. The information that was on the website is not listed anywhere.
Recommend discussion: If someone wants this functionality, let them supply additional documents.
I'm in favor of scrapping this idea and we won't be using it in future drawings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report