Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make a void feature invisible?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
heikki.jalonen
375 Views, 7 Replies

How to make a void feature invisible?

N.B: Inventor 2017

Hi all.  Sorry, me again.  Working with an imported 3rd party (component supplier) body (iam) converted to part (ipt).  Making a revolved cut in order to mimic smaller diameter inlet connection; an option available but not appearing in the downloaded component.

Q: how to make the removed material to disappear?   Now there's "something" left in the model, appearing in transparent state but obviously present (the weight does not change).  Like this:

heikkijalonen_0-1645513311496.png

The appearance was something amber-like, now "clear" in the pic.  But not entirely "clear" - I don't master making appearances.  Besides most other things, too...

Is it actually impossible to modify/cut imported solids?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Hi Heikki, please attach your part with the cut and I'll take a look. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 3 of 8

Hi.  Please, here you have.  It's an imported object (originally an assy, now part). I hope all features came along, at least I have tried to suppress all external links.  Frankly, I don't understand the concept of solid vs. body entity very well, just banging my head heuristically on the wall.  Got no experienced colleagues to ask for - but project schedules yes.

Message 4 of 8

Expand your surfaces folder and you'll find a ton of surfaces which I don't think you actually need. 

You are cutting away the thread, but then the surface is being exposed. You can just toggle the visibility of these surfaces if you don't need them.

James_Willo_0-1645526106850.png

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 5 of 8

Hello!  Thank you for rapid response.  But, now I wonder: "Surface bodies".  I'm afraid I cant find anything like.

On my environment, the Tree looks like below, entirely different from yours:

heikkijalonen_0-1645526858168.png

I was eventually able to hide that phantom geometry by ticking Visibility OFF from that Srf1; what ever it might be.  Just a patch, the root cause (=my sub-standard Inventor skills) still uncured.

But, conclusion: problem solved.  Next coming, most likely.

Message 6 of 8

Are you running an older version of Inventor? There's a possibility that this is the reason the browser trees look different? I used 2022. 

I assume you imported this geometry? This surface will be from whatever program it was created in and passed over during conversion. 

James W
Inventor UX Designer
Message 7 of 8

Yes, I'm stuck into 2017.  No idea when upgrading would take place.  Depends on something they call "Money", not quite sure what that might be...

Message 8 of 8

Plus what is mentioned:  yes, an imported assy.  I guess the original is composed with PRO/E.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report