Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Link Plant 3D Structure Models to Inventor .ipt Or .iam

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Jonathan.CharltonE35Y2
278 Views, 2 Replies

How to Link Plant 3D Structure Models to Inventor .ipt Or .iam

Hello.

I am using Inventor Professional 2022.3.2, Build 350 and Plant 3D P3D_S051.1521 2022.1.2.

I have been trying to find a way to link or associate a P3D .dwg file that includes some P3D Structure Geometry to an IV .ipt or .iam so that I can duplicate the structure within IV and use the Frame Analysis for design validation.
However, in my attempts I've been unable to find a way to do so.

Optimally, I would like retain associativity between the .dwg and the .ipt/iam so that changes made to the .dwg will be reflected in the linked IV file.

I've tried importing the .dwg file into both an .ipt and an .iam, but haven't had luck with that approach.
When imported into an .ipt. I'm able to see the geometry, but unable to interact with it via 2D or 3D sketch.

This has been the most promising path so far, as it potentially retains a "link" between the .dwg and .ipt, but is worthless if I can't interact with it.

Has anyone tried something similar to this? If so, your input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
JC

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi! Plant3D files are dwg files, right? The only associative link between Inventor and AutoCAD dwg is for 2D data, not 3D data. Unfortunately, I am not aware of such associative link between Inventor and Plant3D. You may do it indirectly though. You could export the Plant3D file to STEP. Then link the STEP file to Inventor associatively (Reference Import). But, you do need to keep exporting to STEP when there is a change in the Plant3D model.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi @johnsonshiue,

Thank you for your reply. I had a suspicion that this was the case, but I wanted to double check to see if I was missing anything. Much appreciated!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report