Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Helical Ramp Process

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
a75661
549 Views, 8 Replies

How to Helical Ramp Process

Hi,

Could someone show me a easy way to create a helical ramp that starts out with one profile then finishes with a different profile. Attached is a screenshot of what I am trying to achieve in the green. 

a75661_1-1623180514563.png

Thanks

Chris

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
johnsonshiue
in reply to: a75661

Hi! I think Loft is probably the most straight forward way. But, the issue may arise due to adjacent faces. Please attach the file here. Forum experts can help take a look and provide further guidance.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 9
a75661
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Attached is a file that demonstrates my current process. However the final product is not to satisfaction. 

Message 4 of 9
JDMather

I started to work up an example, but noticed that your sketches are not fully defined?

Can you add dimensions to Sketch1 (and otherwise fully define the sketch)?

Here is an example of fully defined sketches.

Note the dimensions.

Note the Pushpin symbol on the sketches in the browser.

JDMather_0-1623255310989.png

JDMather_1-1623255370973.png

Another view with dimensions hidden.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 9
a75661
in reply to: JDMather

Here is a dimensioned sketch, however this process will require dimension variances depending on projects.

Message 6 of 9
a75661

Sorry attachment did not upload.

Message 7 of 9
johnsonshiue

Hi! There should be multiple ways to do this. Instead of Loft, I use Guide Rail Sweep to create the geometry. Please take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 8 of 9
JDMather

@a75661 wrote:

1. Here is a dimensioned sketch,

2. ...however this process will require dimension variances depending on projects.

1. The sketch is not fully defined?  Missing horizontal constraints.  Missing vertical constraints. Missing tangent constraints?

2. Isn't that the very nature of parametric design?

Can you show image of the cutting tool that will be used to make this feature in the real world and/or explain a bit about the manufacturing process.  As a machinist, when I am working in CAD I often try to replicate the actual manufacturing process when faced with creating difficult geometry.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 9 of 9
a75661
in reply to: JDMather

This area is located at the exit end of a polymer flow channel of a extrusion die. The cutter used to cut this channel and angled face will be a ball end mill. After machining the channels will be polished to a mirror finish to prevent any polymer material from sticking, dragging or burning inside the channel. These arcs and ramps are not consistent with each other as they are tool specific.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report