Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to edit an STL file in Inventor 2016

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
bsims3643
16039 Views, 13 Replies

How to edit an STL file in Inventor 2016

Hello everyone!! So basically I am trying to print out some items that I found some .stl files of. The only thing is that my printer does not have any kind of support material so I need to slice the .stl in half to print nicely. The only problem is that I have yet to find any software that can do this. Below is what I have tried:

SketchUp 2016: imported stl and managed to slice, but exporting exported the whole object un-sliced

FreeCAD: imported .stl and exported as .dxf, .dwg, .stp but nothing could be opened in Inventor

Inventor: installed Mesh Enabler and did the whole "convert to base feature" process, which gave me a bunch of lines

What I need is to somehow get the stl file imported to some software, sliced in half, and export each side as an stl either one file or two works.

Any ideas?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
mcgyvr
in reply to: bsims3643

Post your part if you can't figure it out (post the ipt after you have performed the mesh enabler function and saved it as an ipt)

If you used the mesh enabler you should have a 3d model that can be edited (use extrude to cut it in half)

or after mesh enabler go to environments..3d print and use the partition tool built into that environment to chop it in half..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 14
bsims3643
in reply to: mcgyvr

So I got the stl file in and did the base feature into a solid and deleted the original. I then went into the 3D Print environment and now I don't know how to get the part into the environment

Message 4 of 14
JDMather

@bsims3643 wrote:

So I got the stl file in and did the base feature into a solid and deleted the original. 

No, no, nooooooo  don't delete the original until you have solved the problem.

(actually, now that I open your attachment - I see your original mesh is still in this file)

Your browser shows that you have a Surface Body, not a solid?

Also,

iProperties indicates that you have not installed Service Pack 2.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 5 of 14
bsims3643
in reply to: JDMather

i did what the other guy said (sorry other guy i forgot how to spell your name). i still have the original file, whats deleted in the stl form in inventor. im not sure what a surface body is 

Message 6 of 14
JDMather

@bsims3643 wrote:

.... im not sure what a surface body is 

I don't think you are ready for editing stl files.

I was able to get these parts to solid (grey) but not the surfaces (orange).

I didn't really spend any time on it though.

Wouldn't it be more satisfying to model it yourself?

You can use the imported mesh as reference.

Solids.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 7 of 14
bsims3643

How about being a little less discriminating and a little more helpful. I'm sure at some point you were inexperienced with this too

Message 8 of 14
JDMather

Sure.  I will help you out in learning Inventor step-by-step.  This looks like a fun project.

I estimate that it will take about a month of work.

I can begin the instructions as soon as you let me know that you are ready.

Message 9 of 14
bsims3643

I've been using inventor for eight years, starting with inventor 2012 i think. I know how to use the main functions, just havent experimented with stl files before. Keep in mind you've probably had teachers that told you how to do things. I've been teaching myself because all the decent classes are way outside my price range

Message 10 of 14
bsims3643

Nah screw it I'll do it myself

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

HEY can someone help me ???
I have been surfing the net for days on how to convert a imported stl file in inventor2016 from wire mesh to solid form so that i can attach it to my another part.

Message 12 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Try opening the attached file.

Message 13 of 14

Coming back to the original question to cut a .stl part in half:

I am using Meshmixer all the time to cut my stl parts in separate parts to print them nicely. Meshmixer is from Autodesk and it's free.

Kind regards, Frank

Message 14 of 14
JasonFralin

_

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report