Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Create a Local copy of Entire Library

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
crash957
259 Views, 4 Replies

How to Create a Local copy of Entire Library

When I install Inventor on a new computer is it possible to tell inventor to create the hard copies of the entire piping library instead of having to create it once part at a time as you use them? My issue is; when I am working on a large piping assembly, if I send over the file for my coworker to work on he has to replace all of the library parts to get the parts written on his computer. Or similarly if I were to get a new computer, and transfer all my files to a new computer, how do I make sure the parts get moved over?

Hopefully I explained my situation properly. Thanks for any and all help!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
blandb
in reply to: crash957

I take it you are not using vault?

Do you not use a single company project file where everyone works out of the same workspace and all Content center, design data and template items are placed into a shared folder that the entire team has access to?

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 5
crash957
in reply to: blandb

No vault. And as of right now I am the only person that uses CAD in any way shape or form but we are looking for a new person to come in and join me. If we get a second person is a shared location the best way to do that? If so we currently use Onedrive for file storage and backup so is that a suitable place for things like the content center files and templates?

Message 4 of 5
mslosar

If you want to send a model to someone, you can use pack and go.  Go to File Explorer, find the iam or idw, right click, choose Pack and Go. It'll pull all the files necessary and put them in a zip file to send to someone.

Now, if you're going to be working in a company on a network.....

Ideally, you want to use vault. 

If you're not going to use vault, you'll need to put your files on a network resource everyone sees the same way. For example, if that's the N: drive, you'll want to establish a folder on the network to that contains your content center idcl files (the main libraries) and another folder called something like Content Center Folders that contains the files place in your assemblies.  You configure a project file to point to the network folders you will store projects, another for content center files, and another for libraries. 

At that point, if everyone uses the same project file the files are shared by all.

Message 5 of 5
BDCollett

@crash957 wrote:

No vault. And as of right now I am the only person that uses CAD in any way shape or form but we are looking for a new person to come in and join me. If we get a second person is a shared location the best way to do that? If so we currently use Onedrive for file storage and backup so is that a suitable place for things like the content center files and templates?

Perfect time to go with Vault, at least then you can get some visibility on what the other user is working on and some recovery if mistakes are made. Also, far better performance than sharing common files over a network drive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report