Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change sections/rails in a loft after the loft has been created?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
schlaf
408 Views, 5 Replies

How to change sections/rails in a loft after the loft has been created?

I am using Inventor Professional 2019 on a Mac running Windows 10 in VMware. For some reason I do not seem able to change sections (or rails) after a loft feature has been created. Once the loft has been made I cannot re-select the chosen area in a sketch, nor can I delete a section and replace it with a section from another sketch etc....none of the usual shift+click or select+delete actions seem to work. All I can do is select a section (i.e. making it turn blue by clicking on it), but then there seems no key/click combination that would affect any action on it.

Deleting the loft and redoing it seems to be the only option to make a change. That of course is problematic once other features have been created based on the loft...

Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Sergio.D.Suárez
in reply to: schlaf

Hello, could you attach your file here?

Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.

I am attaching my Upwork profile for specific queries.

Sergio Daniel Suarez
Mechanical Designer

| Upwork Profile | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! Like Sergio mentioned here, please attach the file so forum experts can take a look. I guess you are probably trying to pick sections or rails created after the Loft. Inventor is a feature-based and history-based parametric solid modeler. There is parent-child relationship among the objects. A parent feature cannot utilize any object created afterwards. You can reorder the sketches or the Loft so that the sketches are before the Loft.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 6
schlaf
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Thanks for your comment! This is not file specific. I can change the order of the section in the loft dialogue. But I cannot make changes within each of the selections.

Assume a simple loft between two sketches, which each have several closed loops that could be selected as the start or end areas of the loft. It seems there is no way in the loft dialogue to change the selection of the area in either of the two sketches without deleting the loft and starting anew. There seems nothing similar in the loft dialogue to "pressing shift and deselecting an area" like it is possible in a standard extrusion, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Message 5 of 6
SBix26

It's a bit different in the Loft dialog.  You select the profile(s) or guide rail(s) that you want to get rid of, then hit the Delete key.  Then Click to add and select a different one.  You can drag to change the order of profiles or guide rails, too.

None of this stuff makes sense in the Extrusion tool, which is why the dialogs are different, I suppose.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2020.0.1 | Windows 7 SP1
LinkedIn

Message 6 of 6
johnsonshiue

Hi! I think there might be some usability issue or misunderstanding. It would be great if you can share an example here so forum experts can take a look.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report