Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to animate lots of small particles like sand or pellets without bogging down computer

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
joseph.duncan34G89
392 Views, 9 Replies

how to animate lots of small particles like sand or pellets without bogging down computer

Is there a way to animate lots of particles such as sand or pellets flowing through equipment processes (conveyors, etc) without animate each and every single particle? In many cases, this would be hundreds or thousands or tweaks in the animation and makes the file extremely slow and heavy. Is there a work around or shortcut for something like this?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
blandb
in reply to: joseph.duncan34G89

Would Autodesk CFD work?

https://www.autodesk.com/products/cfd/overview 

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 3 of 10
mcgyvr

Animate a solid that looks like a mass of sand and apply a sand like texture/appearance applied to it.. Inventor would NEVER handle an animation of sand grains.. 

Or use a different software like 3dsmax which has particulate addins,etc... and can handle that stuff..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 10
brad

Here's a way to potentially "fake it".

1. Make a dummy part(s) that will sit on top of your conveyor belt.

2. Take a photo that represents your particles as seen from above

3. Use "decal" to stick that photo on your dummy part

4. Constrain that dummy part to your conveyor so that it moves the way it should

Now you have one part instead of millions.

You might have to get creative with your views so the viewer can't see the ends of the dummy part sliding on and off the conveyor ends. This will be easier if you are zoomed in and not seeing the conveyor ends.

If your conveyor has curves, you will need even more tricks. 

If you are trying for something that effectively communicates sand moving along a conveyor (and not a Pixar level production) I think you can get an effective result with minimal effort. 

I believe in you.

Try it out and show us the results.  :^)

Message 5 of 10

I need to show the pile of pellets falling off a conveyor into a hopper like it would naturally, so the decal idea wouldn't help me there. It would go from a random large mass to being spread out and flowing down the chute into the hopper.

Message 6 of 10
joseph.duncan34G89
in reply to: brad

I need to show the pile of pellets falling off a conveyor into a hopper like it would naturally, so the decal idea wouldn't help me there. It would go from a random large mass to being spread out and flowing down the chute into the hopper.

Message 7 of 10

ANSYS Rocky or other DEM software if you want to create engineering simulations.  https://www.ansys.com/products/fluids/ansys-rocky

Maybe 3DS Max particle flow: https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/3ds-max/learn-explore/caas/CloudHelp/cloudhelp/2022/ENU/3DSMa...

Blender is another option: https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/physics/particles/introduction.html

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 10

For marketing purposes, I've seen fine grain bulk materials simulated like large marbles. It gets the point across to the 'dumdum' viewer. But if you need to do a flow analysis, then @swalton has the right idea.

... Chris
Win 7 Pro 64 bit + IV 2010 Suite
ASUS X79 Deluxe
Intel i7 3820 4.4 O/C
64 Gig ADATA RAM
Nvidia Quadro M5000 8 Gig
3d Connexion Space Navigator
Message 9 of 10

Just animate dummy/bulky part as suggested above and then use aftereffects/FX animation software (ex Blender) to add layer representing sand or pellets. This kind of animations is not purpose of CAD softwares. Most of them will fail in this task.

Message 10 of 10

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report