Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
173597 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 1761 of 2,219
Mario-Villada
in reply to: Neil_Cross

I learnt this from you @Neil_Cross 

Message 1762 of 2,219
phlyx
in reply to: Mario-Villada

Have some more results. This morning I rebooted and then in Task Manager killed every process possible and still keep my workstation functional, then ran Inventor Bench and basically didn't change a thing.

The engineer across from me, same workstation setup, booted up this morning and ran Inventor Test and Indexed at 10.12 (HDD 9.26).  As soon as it was done he ran it again and got 8.83 (HDD 9.08), then ran it a third time and got 11.08 (HDD 9.22).  Looked at the results and consistent on the HDD (and similar results to me) but the big variable was Drawing Test, he went from 21.14, to 28.60, to 16.84, all running tests after each other.  Kind of makes us wonder about the validity of the tests varying from 16.84 to 28.60 without changing a thing.  

Message 1763 of 2,219
phlyx
in reply to: phlyx

This is a compilation of my workstation (WS-VEIX), several from this thread, and the three tests the engineer beside me ran this morning.  Things marked in yellow are results worse than mine and green are results better than mine.  Not sure if this shows anything to stand out.

2020-01-17_104817.jpg

Message 1764 of 2,219
leowarren34

@phlyx, I have found the test to be surprisingly variable, My first test today scored 7.5, which was way too low and did an extensive benchmark with 10 iterations and got a 10.1, my CPU is a few years old but everything else is relatively new and since IV needs a fast processor so I wasn't expecting the best scores but better than the 7.5.

Leo Warren
Autodesk Student Ambassador Diamond
Please accept as solution and give likes if applicable.
Message 1765 of 2,219
Jason.kc

2yrs...

I hardly model/draw in inventor anymore...or in any package. Working for a company that does civil infrastructure and not mech. So any thing I draw is simple and then transferred to another program, so I haven't really noticed it.

Shows how out of touch I am I guess...

hotfixes installed and software switch off.20200120 Desktop bench.PNG

And my laptop...

20200120 Laptop Bench.PNG

Message 1766 of 2,219
Jason.kc
in reply to: Jason.kc

Hmm - the laptop is showing that it used the onboard graphics card instead of the dedicated NVIDIA Quadro M1200...

Message 1767 of 2,219
phlyx

Getting benchmark scores varying 3 points (~30% variation?) or more when run on the same machine right after each other with nothing down between runs makes us wonder what good the benchmark test is.  🙄   Or is the benchmark supposed to be stable and repeatable and variations are caused by something wrong on our workstations?

Message 1768 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

The bench test is just automation, it does the exact same thing over and over again, any variation is caused by external factors (and it's rock solid and proven at this point, 100% reliable).  I've ran this thing more times than I've ran a shower (exaggeration but y'know) and I've never had anywhere near that much of a variation between successive runs, on a clean PC it typically stays within the same tenth of a point i.e. 13.14, 13.12, 13.16 etc 

In worst cases I've had it deviates by around a full point, but never by 3. 

If my PC or laptop was reducing by 3 points after successive runs, the first thing I'd look at would be the thermals, that sounds like something is overheating and under-clocking itself to cool down, and performance dramatically suffers whilst that happens.  Apologies if you know this but that's known as thermal throttling.

If the temps are alright, I'd then look at shutting down all the background running apps to make sure there isn't anything firing up in the background calling all cores to work for it during the test. 

Message 1769 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@Jason.kc it's just how the bench tool reports the graphics adaptor, laptops have two adaptors but the tool can only report one, and usually the onboard adaptor is primary as it's used on battery to save energy.  There is a chance that Inventor might be using the onboard graphics instead of the Quadro, you'd have to go into your Nvidia Control Panel and make sure the Inventor profile is forced to use the High Performance card.

Dunno what kind of laptop you have, but if you have HP, they actually allow you to completely disable the onbaord graphics and just run the Quadro.  Not good for battery mode but it's peace of mind that you're always running at max power.  I did a video on that a while back, again, only valid for HP though:

Message 1770 of 2,219
Anonymous

100% agree with you about the graphics and cpu for the score. Wonder what a single core speed/overclock you'd need for those truly high scores.  

Inventor Bench.jpg

Message 1771 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous change your screen resolution to 1920x1080 then do the test again, it isn't a comparable score to everyone else if you do it at 4K.  I think you'll be in the upper 15's if you run the test at 1080p, but then obviously do your work at 4K.

Message 1772 of 2,219
nutral

In inventor 2020, the resolution doesn't matter that much, I'm getting exactly the same results on my game pc at 1080p and 4k. So the results are actually gpu limited at higher resolutions. But i'm not sure as i haven't tested a slower graphics card yet.

One of the annoying things in the benchmark is that the graphics test is kind of short. In normal situations the GPU is in 2d or low power 3d mode with lower clock speeds. When the graphics test starts it takes a second to switch to the higher clock speed.

I've had a look at the clockspeed, and in the first second of the test, the graphics move slowly and the clockspeed is low, and after a second it actually picks up.

If there is a way to force the high clock speed in inventor, that would improve the situation.

Message 1773 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: nutral

I have tested with a slower graphics card, I've got around 12 graphics cards here, from rubbish ones through to the best that money can buy and several in-between. 

Inventor isn't GPU limited, it would be impossible because it isn't GPU accelerated. 

It's proven and demonstrated, there are videos out there of tests where a GPU has been swapped out and a lower powered one put in, and the Inventor graphical results are the same.  This area hasn't been up for debate for years, it was put to bed and settled years ago.

Message 1774 of 2,219
Anonymous

As i said, this is a recent change, 2020. have you compared those as well ? Don't dismiss something just because it has been true earlier.

in the post below i've put 2 results, 1 at 4k and one at 1080p. both pretty much the same score. When i did the test in inventor 2019, the score tanked a lot in 4k.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/how-fast-is-your-inventor-pc-really/m-p/9228530/highli...

Crap, used the company account here, (Same person as Nutral)

Message 1775 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

@Anonymous wrote:

As i said, this is a recent change, 2020. have you compared those as well ? Don't dismiss something just because it has been true earlier.

I hear what you're saying but you're implying a lot of things in that statement, I'm not sure if you know my background (I'll not go into it) but there's absolutely no chance that I'd miss and not notice that kind of a change from version to version.  And completely rewriting Inventor to being GPU accelerated is not something they'd do and not tell anyone about, it would need extensive beta testing first, which I'm part of.

Anyway, I've got around 8 different PCs and laptops here which I can hook up to a 4K panel so I'll do a couple of tests and report back.  

Message 1776 of 2,219
Anonymous

The base code hasn’t changed Neil, you’re  right. However, I have noticed better integration of frame buffer with higher end cards and point clouds. Obviously not a core code change...I’d love to see some of your tests run with billion plus point cloud overlays... they really make inventor chug, even on the best of machines.

I will be setting it in 1080 to test and see if you’re right...the 10980xe had a 4.9 ghz single core overclock on during the tests 

Message 1777 of 2,219
tom_vierling

If there was ever anyone to break the news to us that Inventor has implemented any sort of GPU acceleration and that graphic card choices now truly matter at any point, it would be Neil (if not the Inventor team themselves). I personally use his videos to figure out exactly what's different between the newest versions of Inventor, and I know I'm not the only one.

Admittedly I've not run the test on Inventor 2020 on my system in both 4K and 1080P, but I imagine the results would favor the 1080p bench.

HP Z240 Workstation i7-7700K, Nvidia Quadro P1000, Samsung 512GB NVME SSD, WD 1TB HDD, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400mhz, TriMonitor (1920x1080, 3840x2160, 1920x1080) Inventor Pro 2022, AutoCAD 2022
Message 1778 of 2,219
Neil_Cross
in reply to: tom_vierling

I think my main PC is losing the plot.  Either way, if there was ever 10000000% proof that Inventor doesn't use your GPU, not that it's needed at this point, this is it...

That's from 2x 2080Ti's in SLI

Annotation 2020-01-21 135337.jpg

2020-01-21 13.54.28-1.jpg

@nutral If the GPU was powering those graphics figures, how could two 2080Ti's score 139MHz but a measly RX 580 does this...

RX 580.jpg

It's because the CPU is responsible for the graphics, even in 2020.

Message 1779 of 2,219
tom_vierling

Hmmm.... anyone else having Inventor display at just over 2k (1440P) even though you set your 4K monitor resolution to 1080p? Also tried moving Inventor to a native 1080P monitor and got the same reading from the Inventor Bench tool. 

HP Z240 Workstation i7-7700K, Nvidia Quadro P1000, Samsung 512GB NVME SSD, WD 1TB HDD, 16GB (2x8) DDR4 2400mhz, TriMonitor (1920x1080, 3840x2160, 1920x1080) Inventor Pro 2022, AutoCAD 2022
Message 1780 of 2,219
tom_vierling

(Couldn't edit the last post with images so...)

Inventor 4k 1-21-20.PNGInventor 1080p 1-21-20.PNG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report