Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2,219
Raider_71
172913 Views, 2218 Replies

How fast is your Inventor PC really?

Hi guys,

We have had to do some testing on a bunch of Inventor PC's recently to determine which of the PC's needs to be replaced. Obviously we needed to find out which of the PC's are the worst eprformers as there was only budget to replace 50% of the design PC's. So we thought the Darwin theory will come in handy right... 🙂

Anyways I started searching on the net for toppics on how to benchmark an Inventor PC. Then I thought whats the point of using gaming benchmark tools because Inventor is not a game and there are more aspects than just graphics performance when it comes to percieved performance on an Inventor PC right.

So we decided to create our own Inventor benchmark tool which tests various aspects of an Inventor PC to give us an overview of our PC's performance. This then helped us make a decision as to whcih pc's to replace.

We have made the tool available free of charge to anyone interested in checking how their PC stacks up to their peers or friends. 🙂

Please download it here and post your results here as well if you want. Would be interesting to see what beast workstations are out there.

I would like to say thanks to Kirk #karthur1, for helping in testing the app.

Please feel free to send any suggestions our way. There is an email link in the app.

Download and Install

The application will work with Inventor 2014 to 2016 only.

IMPORTANT: After installation there will be an Inventor Bench icon on your desktop that looks like this: 32x32.png

My resluts:

HP Elitebook 8560w with an SSD upgrade.

Inventor Bench.jpg

2,218 REPLIES 2,218
Message 721 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: Raider_71

So here it is.

For those in need of a good hearty laugh...

Precision 690 - Test 1.png

This is a Dell Precision 690 (10 years old).  Looks I've been in my cave too long.  

Message 722 of 2,219
Anonymous

bonjour a tous je suis en vacances en ce moment donc le temps, de peaufiner mon vieux ordi, je voulais juste vous dire que j'ai une Tesla et une Quadro pour avoir la Technologie Nvidia Maximus

http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/maximus/lenovo/maximus-lenovo.html

Mais cela ne fonctionne pas 😞 sur Inventor ( ni le SLI ( 2x GPU ) ) Inventor ne reconnait qu'un seul GPU, soit la Quadro soit la Tesla. Je voulais utiliser la Quadro pour le rendu Graphique et la Tesla pour le calcul.

Mon CPU est un I7 990x cadencé a 4,65 GHZ

CM ASUS RAMPAGE III Black Edition

24 GB 1600 Mhz CAS 9

SSD 850 EVO 250 GB

HDD Seagate Barracuda 1To

2x WD Blue 2 To

Nvidia Quadro 5000

Nvidia Tesla C2075

Google traduction 😞  🙂

Hello everyone I'm on vacation right now so time to polish my old computer, I just wanted to say that I have a Tesla and Quadro for Nvidia Maximus Technology
http://www.nvidia.com/content/quadro/maximus/lenovo/maximus-lenovo.html

But it does not work 😞 Inventor (or SLI (2x GPU)) Inventor does not recognize a single GPU or Quadro or Tesla. I wanted to use for rendering the Quadro Graphics and Tesla for the calculation.

bench Inventor Tesla & Quadro 4,65Ghz.png

Message 723 of 2,219
Anonymous

just got a new work laptop had a budget which is a shame but here is the results

i7-6700hq 2.6

8gb ram

gtx970m 6gb

128gb ssd

is this okay for a laptop??

Message 724 of 2,219
Anonymous

Just got a new laptop to run inventor got a score of 7.4 guessing that should be okay?
Message 725 of 2,219
machiel.veldkamp
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes. For a laptop that is quite good. My work PC has a score of 5.5 and will do most things without much hassle

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

there is a little problem your GPU is not detected by the bench  

INTEL HD ghraphic 530 no Nvidia GTX 970M

Message 727 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Mine does that to, it's switchable graphics and it's annoying as hell.  The laptop runs off the CPU graphics and then uses the discreet 980M graphics when running an application, but it means there's 2 delectable GPU's in the system and the bench tool picks up on the CPU graphics, however Inventor is running off the NVIDIA GPU

Message 728 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: Neil_Cross

Hi All

I just found TFI CAD's youtube channel (awesome stuff  by the way Neil!) and decided I better test my PC. I was quite impressed seeing as it's an i5-4690K CPU with a 4 year old Radeon HD 7870 GPU. It is overclocked as much as I could do and have it be stable 24/7.

Inventor Bench 30-07-2016.jpg

The specs for my workstation as follows:

Intel Core i5-4690K CPU @ 4.60GHz

16GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 @1800MHz

MSI Z97S Motherboard

ADATA SP550 240GB SSD

Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 @ 1150 CLK 1350 Mem

24" & 23" Dell Monitors

I use it mainly for Inventor modelling and some AutoCAD work.

Message 729 of 2,219
Anonymous

got my new work laptop and inventor 2017 installed.  I decided to do the bench mark test to show the boss how bad our desktop pc really are even though the spec that they are they should be a lot better.

desktop score was 3.51 or something around that area

its the older i7 12 core 3.3 (cant remember exactly)

64gb ram

128gb ssd

quadro k4000

Thanks to @Neil_Cross and his youtube channel I told the boss I was going to choose the laptop and pick a gaming laptop.  Had a budget of around 1500 but I had to get it that day so was limited with stock availability and ended up with the following specs which cost 1199

gigabyte P37

i7 6700hq 2.6

8 gb ddr4 ram

gtx970m 6 gb

128gb ssd.

I don't have the image of the desktop computer score but what I wrote is correct it certainly wasn't above 4

and the attached is my new laptop score which I'm quite happy witt and may just use this until we can sort the desktops out

Message 730 of 2,219
nutral

Upgraded my graphics card at home, so i had to test it again.

capture4.PNG

Message 731 of 2,219
proj964
in reply to: mdavis22569

Graphics Card Memory Size

This thread has gotten so long and I couldn't find a good way to search just the thread, that I am taking the risk of asking a question which we may already have discussed. And that is, does it make a difference to Inventor whether the graphics card has 2GB or 4GB of memory?

Speed?

Complexity of mechanical design?

Better rendering?

???

Thanks.

Message 732 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: proj964

no difference

I already tested with quadro 5000 2,5gb

Tesla C2075  6 gb

GTX 780 3 gb

GTX 470 1,5 gb

the most important and the speed of the cpu

Message 733 of 2,219
Anonymous

for system RAM and graphics RAM it is important that your workload is smaller than the installed capacity. If you have installed more than you use, there will be no performance boost by adding more RAM. But be careful, if inventor has to use more than the installed capacity, the performance will break down.

Here an example of a stress analysis with round about 28 GB usage of RAM.

With 16 GB installed RAM: 52.75 h

and the same stress analysis on the same Laptop with 32 GB in 14.00 h

Edit: false Image. sorry.

Message 734 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

I've put a little bit of studying into how Inventor handles VRAM and what I've established so far is that a lot of the older cards with 1GB of VRAM just don't have enough, Windows alone takes up around half of that and if you have dual monitors it's a struggle. More VRAM does behave the same as system ram in that the more you have it doesn't make anything passively run faster, but I did notice whilst using a 16gb VRAM card that the applications will use more than they would otherwise use on a card with 4GB or 8GB.
If you want to see for yourself how the VRAM is doing, use something like msi afterburner however be careful as I've had autodesk confirm there is a bug with using it alongside inventor. It crashes, a lot. And they're understandably in no hurry to do anything about that.
Message 735 of 2,219
nutral

In my experience, inventor runs fine as long as it has enough gpu memory. Larger assembly's and especially complicated shapes increase the memory usage.

I'd recommend at least 3gb of memory, as i've seen that that can easily get filled up. Inventor is a bit less hungry for graphic memory than autocad and showcase. Showcase doesn't even work well when the memory is filled.

Running showcase with a larger model, inventor with a large model (5000 parts) and autocad P3D with 3 3d files open runs to about 3,5gb graphic memory use with about 700mb already going to system/dynamic memory.

Message 736 of 2,219
mdavis22569

turned off everything in the system tray ...and everything else they said 

another one.PNG

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

---------
Mike Davis

EESignature

Message 737 of 2,219
Anonymous
in reply to: mdavis22569

Hi. This is Michael speaking (ehm - writing) from germany. I found this forum and read it´s very interesting how many people here use gemaing-cards in professional computers.... 😉 I start the test on our "old" CAD-Machine and the result was , how shoukd i say....shocking is the right word i think. Our IT-Admin ordered new PC´s so i hope in the future the score gets higher.....
Message 738 of 2,219
Anonymous

For some reason the picture is not in the post..... Next try. If it´s still missing. The Score was 1,68 with a E5-1650 (0) - 3,2GHz CPU, 16GB RAM and an old Nvidia Quadro4000....
Message 739 of 2,219
Anonymous

InventorBench-Test 05082016 Inventor 2015.jpgnext try...

Message 740 of 2,219
Neil_Cross

Regardless of how old the parts in the PC are, it should not take anywhere near 100+ seconds to save the small IPT file used by the bench program. I'd speculate that you've got some corrupt background windows or other process hammering the CPU or disk, it's a small file and shouldn't take longer than a dozen or so seconds, the fastest PCs save it in 5 seconds so at 100+ that's not your hardware that's a software bottleneck somewhere.
FYI you've also got your graphics settings at quality rather than performance which shouldn't make too much difference but it will quicken things up visually a little bit.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report