Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How enable text rotation function

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
3096 Views, 10 Replies

How enable text rotation function

I do a lot of embossing part numbers on our custom components. Often I find I cannot make the text rotation button come alive. Sometimes just toggling the text insert button does the trick but other times not. I've tried that both with the text highlighted in the text dialog box and not highlighted.Can anyone advise me the surefire way to enable the function?

Walter INV 2013

Tags (1)
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you attach an example file?

Message 3 of 11
mcgyvr

Are you talking about rotating "after" you close the text dialog box?

If so the rotates don't show IF you have the "text box" option on (dashed line box around the text)

When you turn that off then the rotate RMB buttons are active again..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: mcgyvr

As I understand it the dotted box around the text on the part view must be there to edit the test. I have tried toggling the text box option button in the Format Text dialog box with and without the text in that dialog box highlighted to no avail. What has me frustrated is that I have been able to rotate text prior on this machine but not today. I could attach the file but who else besides me is still on 2013?

Walter

Message 5 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

Can you attach example file?

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Sample file attached.

Message 7 of 11
TheCADWhisperer

Message 8 of 11
mcgyvr

@Anonymous wrote:

As I understand it the dotted box around the text on the part view must be there to edit the test. 

Walter

It does not need to be there to edit the text.. And you simply need to right click on the text and the rotate options are there.. You don't need to go back into the format text dialog to rotate..

Now there have been some changes to the text dialog box since 2013 but I don't think that functionality has changed..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 9 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

As I understand it the dotted box around the text on the part view must be there to edit the test...

Hi Walter.Ferguson,

And just to add to what mcgyvr mentioned, the text box and the rotation are mutually exclusive. It's just that when you toggle the textbox off from within the text format dialog, the rotation options dopdown does not come one. If you get out and get back in, then you will see the drop down list. And as mcgyvr mentioned right clicking on the text allows you to turn on/off the textbox, which does enable/disable the rotation options in the right click.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 10 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: Curtis_Waguespack

Many thanks to all three of you - CADWhisperer, mcgyr and Curtis - for your inputs. Thank you CAD Whisperer for your excellent video. I did get it done but here is what happened: All morning every time I edited the sketch (including going in and out of the sketch) I had a dashed line box around the text in part view. When I right clicked the text - sketch open or closed - the rotate button was not there. All I got was the ability to move the text. After reading Curtis' reply I closed the part file. When I reopened it and double clicked the text the text was encompassed by six dots (not a slew of dashes) and bingo the rotate function was active. So I'm left unsure of the meaning of the two different text "borders".

Walter

Message 11 of 11
Curtis_Waguespack

@Anonymous wrote:

When I reopened it and double clicked the text the text was encompassed by six dots (not a slew of dashes) and bingo the rotate function was active. So I'm left unsure of the meaning of the two different text "borders".

Hi Walter.Ferguson,

When we enable the text box we see the "slew of dashes" and we can use that to dimension and constrain as shown in CADWhisperer's video. When we disable the textbox, the dots (aka grips) are shown and those allow us to grip the textbox without it being enabled.

So, we want to see the dots to be able to rotate the text using the Rotate CW and CCW options.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report