Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I use copy design to copy a drawing with multiple IPart or IAssembly members that aren't all shown on the drawing?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
MichaelKidd3615
372 Views, 2 Replies

How do I use copy design to copy a drawing with multiple IPart or IAssembly members that aren't all shown on the drawing?

When I use the copy design feature to copy a drawing, a duplicate of the drawing and whatever member numbers are shown on the drawing are created. If specific members of the part or assembly files (with an IPart or IAssembly table) do not have views placed on the drawing, whichever ones are not shown will not be created in the new part or assembly file. For example, an assembly file has 3 members in the IAssembly table. The drawing only shows views of member 1 of the assembly file. When I use the copy design feature in Vault, I want to have a duplicate drawing (with a new name) created that only shows member 1, as well as a new assembly file that has all 3 members in the assembly file (also with a new name). However, what happens when I use copy design on the drawing, is that a drawing that shows member 1 and an assembly file with only member 1 is created. How do I accomplish creating a new drawing and a new assembly file that will have all the member numbers and maintain the link between the drawing and assembly?

Labels (6)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hi! This is a little bit tricky. iPart/iAssembly files are like library components, supposed to be reused. In theory, Copy Design should skip these files and reuse the existing ones. The problem can occur if the iPart/iAssembly files are copied literally. The elaboration process of these files cannot be easily replicated through simple file copy. The iPart/iAssembly member files can only be created by the iPart/iAssembly factory files.

Please feel free to share the files that exhibit the issue. I can help take a look to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 3 of 3
IgorMir
in reply to: MichaelKidd3615

Hi Michael,

Once the copy of the design is created - open up the iPart (copied one) and Generate all the members of that iPart. But before doing so - open the Author table of that iPart and make sure - the members and part numbers are reflecting a new naming convention of your design. You will have to re-name them manually. 

Cheers,

Igor.

Web: www.meqc.com.au

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report