Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop Inventor Auto selecting the last model i had open as the base view to add in a drawing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
GPHFJPJS
189 Views, 3 Replies

How do I stop Inventor Auto selecting the last model i had open as the base view to add in a drawing

Afternoon all, 

When I am placing View reps onto a Drawing sheet in Inventor, each time I place a new base view, Inventor will automatically Try to select/ add the last model I had open as the new base view. (Which isn't normally a problem).

However as I work with large General arrangement models of whole site layouts, this forces me to wait for inventor to finish processing the GA view before I can use the search option to select the model I actually want to show. IE single parts.   

I would normally just open a small part first before I start detailing on the Drawing so I don't have this problem, but if there is a way to turn this option off it would save me time. 

Cheers.

Labels (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
SBix26
in reply to: GPHFJPJS

What version of Inventor are you using?

I might suggest a different workflow that could help with this.  Instead of creating a new drawing from template, then placing a base view, do this:

• in the model you wish to create a drawing for, orient the model to your desired base view
  • right click on the name of the part/assembly at the top of the browser and select Create Drawing View
  • Inventor will present the Templates folder for you to choose the template you wish to use; pick one
  • You will have the desired base view of the desired model on your cursor to place as you wish into the drawing format you have chosen

SBix26_0-1710879934123.png

Sam B

Inventor Pro 2024.2 | Windows 11 Home 23H2
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 3 of 4
johnsonshiue
in reply to: GPHFJPJS

Hi! This behavior was added a while ago to enhance drafting productivity. The only way to stop it is to open another drawing (a drawing view cannot be created from a drawing file).

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 4 of 4
GPHFJPJS
in reply to: SBix26

currently using 2022, but this will change in a few months. 

Not sure this would work as We do multiple sheet drawings, and this would require me to open each model as i place the view. (Have used this feature before, but found it was slower for me. )

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report