Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset 3D Sketch line "Normals" so frame generator parts have correct starting orientation

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
throwaway_222223
291 Views, 4 Replies

How do I reset 3D Sketch line "Normals" so frame generator parts have correct starting orientation

I'm using Frame Generator with 3D sketch lines to design a railing.

When placing this frame part (a 2 x 2 sq. tube post) using a 3D sketch line as the member,  the part itself is rotated approx. 12.41° off 90° by default (with rotation set to 0°).

I tweaked the rotation to straighten it out, by setting it to 12.41° and came close, HOWEVER, it's not quite perfect and causes some other issues. Now that I need to offset in direction "A" by .077", the direction of the offset is out of plane with the direction I want it to go. So now I'll have to play with offsets for A and B just to get it to move along the direction I need it to (thanks to the -12.41° rotation)

How to actually fix this sketch line so it's "normal" is in-line with the rest of the drawing? (That way I don't have to figure out a rotation for it and can just leave it as the default 0°, and so offsets move in a sensible way).

Is there such a thing as "normals" with lines? 

throwaway_222223_0-1685530902181.png

Worth mentioning, the railing is NOT parallel to X or Y axis, (but the frame part's "Offset A" and "Offset B" are). See below:

throwaway_222223_0-1685531656641.png

This railing is at an angle due to being part of a drawing that follows the contour of an existing deck. I understand this behavior is correct, and it looks like frame parts will default their axis of movement/rotation to that of the assembly they're created in, but I'd still like to understand how to change this behavior, if possible.

throwaway_222223_1-1685531691164.png

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

I figured it out!

throwaway_222223_0-1685532258437.png

throwaway_222223_1-1685532287314.png

I've never messed with the "Rotate Around Selected Point" checkbox before, haven't had a reason to until now... and didn't know what it does until now. I just disabled it and now the part's Offset A & B moves as desired.

You can mark this one solved or whatever. Hopefully it saves others some time.

Message 3 of 5

if you choise all lines before aply the frame you can see all parts with same angle. if you aply before fnish the select you must use align command on the bottom of orientation panel like picture  good luck. 

talhatufan523TD_0-1685532612414.png

talhatufan523TD_1-1685532626416.png

Message 4 of 5

Sorry for my misunderstanding, you already solved the problem:)
Message 5 of 5

No problem, I didn't know about Align either, so your reply was still very helpful. Thank you, @talha.tufan523TD !

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report