Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I create an multiple value iproperty which I can change in the BOM

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
2542 Views, 10 Replies

How do I create an multiple value iproperty which I can change in the BOM

In the Bill of materials I want to be able to change a custom iproperty using a multiple value list. The same way like the selection list of the BOM Structure column.

So a new iproperty column: Classification -> multiple value list (linked to te part) contains: 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I want to be able to change this "selection list" in the BOM and also in the part.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Xun.Zhang
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello @Anonymous,

Unfortunately, it is not supported currently.

The workaround as below to have a multi-value parameter and check on export, then, you will find the parameter is listed in the custom tab in iProperty. and then, insert it to your BOM column.

Hope it helps!

Untitled.png

Xun
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous

Dank you for the reaction. 

However, isn't there a method like a rule such as the material and the appearance list?

Thanks in advance

Message 4 of 11
Xun.Zhang

Hi @Anonymous.

Sorry, no such method so far.

Thanks!

Xun
Message 5 of 11
tyas.swinnen
in reply to: Xun.Zhang

Xun,

Will this become available in the near future?

The coding behind this cannot be that complicated.(I have made an ilogic script myself to export the value of a multi-value to iProperties.) But having a multivalue that can be changed from the bom would increase our design-productivity, alot.

[Right now we have to open every part to change a multi-value parameter when a part is not made from 'plate-material'. So we select; tube, profile... (Sheet metal is automatically detected) in the parameter window. We chose the parameter 'window' to minimise the amount of different 'windows' you have to access during design.]

I believe that if multi-value parameters could be exported (as multi-value) to iProperties/Bom alot more 'design info' can be chosen from the BOM-window. Which increases the general workflow/productivity.

Message 6 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tyas.swinnen

Hi! There are different ways to look at this.

1) You want to have occurrence properties within a given assembly. It means occurrence 1 of PartA can have different properties than occurrence 2 of PartA, though both occurrences point to the same part definition (PartA).

2) You want part to have multiple states. Each state has a set of properties of different values. These states persist in different assemblies.

3) You want to have a list of pre-defined values for a given property to an occurrence within an assembly. Each occurrence can have a different property value. Similar to #1.

None of these can be done in Inventor at the moment. We are aware of these requirements. Currently, we are working on #2. #1 and #3 are also known requests. We don't have a good solution yet.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 7 of 11
tyas.swinnen
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Hi 

(A logical extra to this would be the exporting of multi-value parameters to iProperties)

Message 8 of 11
johnsonshiue
in reply to: tyas.swinnen

Hi Tyas,

Your posting is very timely. We were discussing this particular request recently. We are working on a project called Alternative Representations. An updated testable build will be available soon. Please sign up Inventor Beta (https://bit.ly/InventorBeta) and try it out yourself. Some of the requirements are not implemented yet. But, you can see where the project is headed.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: johnsonshiue

Johnson,

Exposing a multi-value parameter in the iPart table would be very useful. I spend a good part of my daily life creating and using custom iParts.

<Note> : I'm into "windows and doors", meaning we design and fabricate profiles and parts that fit into extensive systems. Our fabricators make custom windows and doors out of our offering. During design and documentation I build virtual windows that behave like real ones and have all the details. When I turn a profile into an iPart I put some extra effort into it to make life easier afterwards. Meaning for instance that length is of course variable, punch-out for corner connection is a clickable option, milling to accomodate for locks is pre-defined and only needs to be activated and/or positioned, and so on. <end note>

Multi-value is good to put the extra intelligence in what you design. When I have 2 types of locks, one for windows and one for doors, it makes sense to put the height of the handle in a multi-value parameter of 403mm and 1003mm since there are no other options existing. It would be nice that when you create the custom iPart child, that the handle-height parameter is exposed and, when selected, shows a dropdown with the 2 values that are defined in the iPart.

I know it could be done by creating extra lines in the iPart table but it's much more user-friendly to find all personalisation in the same window of options.

Message 10 of 11
alex_hiis6PJP6

Hello @Xun.Zhang and @johnsonshiue 

Been looking for a solution to this request as well. Are there any possible solutions with Inventor 2025?

Message 11 of 11

Hi Alex,

I believe this can be done using Model States in 2022 (or later). Each Model State can have its own BOM table (BOM property values). Have you tried that?

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report