Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make this cylinder always tangent to the arc of this cover no matter the size.

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
OliverXL5YM
364 Views, 4 Replies

How can I make this cylinder always tangent to the arc of this cover no matter the size.

I need help being able to make the edge of this cylinder always tangent to the inside of this cover no matter what diameter either of them have. I tried doing some fancy things with offset planes at the distance to an equation using the cord of dome shape of the cover and it got me close but I feel like there has to be a simpler way. Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hosford
in reply to: OliverXL5YM

If I were to make that domed cap and cylinder, and they would always go together as pairs, I would make a multi body solid.

one of the issues I see is the corner radius, the transition from the cylinder to the dome, that would cause you issues with a tangent constraint assuming you could get it to work.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 3 of 5
OliverXL5YM
in reply to: hosford

I needed to make the metal cylinder into a sheet metal contour rolled part so I can cut out that face on the burn table. I will see about the corner radius, thank you.
Message 4 of 5
hosford
in reply to: OliverXL5YM

you can make the multi body part into individual ipt files, then convert the one you want to flatten to a sheet metal part, cut the cylinder so it can be flattened.

Thaddeus Hosford
NUC9i9QNX i9-9980HK, Win 10 Pro 64
Nvidia GTX 1650
Inventor 2021
Message 5 of 5
OliverXL5YM
in reply to: hosford

What I ended up doing was going to the cover and just drew a construction line to reference the diameter of the cylindrical piece and made a reference dimension of the height to create an offset plane. In the assembly I am going to constrain the top of the cylinder to that plane so it is always tangent to the dome. I really overcomploicated it with trying to do all these cord and sagitta prolbems by hand. It was really quite an easy thing to do after taking a break. Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report