Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I Cut/Extrude this shape into a solid block. Inventor 2009

17 REPLIES 17
Message 1 of 18
Googer24
2500 Views, 17 Replies

How can I Cut/Extrude this shape into a solid block. Inventor 2009

I used a lot of Planes, Sketches and lofts to make the shape in the picture.  If the shape is approved I will have to make a die that will stamp that shape out.  How is a good way to just use that shape and extrude/Cut it into the die I will draw? I will basically have a square block with that shape cut into it.  I will also put a picture of one I did already (Black Die)  This is a different shape that I cut into the Die as I made it.  The other is way too difficult so I was hoping I could just use the shape some how.  We had a Demo of Solid Works and the guy did it very easy.  I'm sure the newer version of Autodesk would also.  I am using Autodesk 2009 so I am a little handicapped.

Alaska Pollock Tilapia Fillet v1.4-1.jpgPrecut Tender V51.jpg 

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Googer24

@Googer24 wrote:

.....  We had a Demo of Solid Works and the guy did it very easy.  

Was the demo of SolidWorks 2009?

Start a new part file.
Derived Component your fish stick as a surface body.

Extrude Rectangle your mold stock.

(the rest is hazy memory for me)

I think in 2009 your could Split using the derived surface body to cut the mold block stock piece.

If you have trouble - attach your two files here and I will demo using the 2009 techniques.

Message 3 of 18
mcgyvr

Should all be covered here..

www.widom-assoc.com/derived_parts2.pdf

Glad (hope) you are smart enough to know that its not fair to compare a new program with one from close to 10 years ago... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 18
Googer24
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

Thanks for the reply.  I am self taught and have a lot to learn.  If you notice in my post I also said that I was sure a newer version of Autodesk would be capable as well.  The other guys are pushing that software as we are buying one or the other.  I am the one that uses it and would rather stick with autodesk versus learning something news.  Anyway.  Let me give this a try. Again I really appreciate the help.

Message 5 of 18
blandb

I believe that sculpt and copy object existed in 2009?, But I am not for sure, if they do, you can use the copy object.

If the tools do exist, you can double click on your black box, and edit it in context of the assy, then use the copy object command to copy your objects in as surfaces. Next, use the sculpt command on the surfaces to "cut" the part away.

Just a thought.

Autodesk Certified Professional
Message 6 of 18
kpyoung333
in reply to: mcgyvr

mcgyvr's post is spot on. If you want to do something a little more simple create a new part, Create > Derive, select the sculpted part you already made, select Body as Work Surface. Create a Sketch on the flat/pour end and create a rectangle that encompasses the entire shape, Extrude to fully encompass entire part. Use Surface > Sculpt, select Cut, select in the model tree the Surface Solid of derived part. The tricky part is there is a tiny tiny green ball with two arrows <-O-> make sure you click on the Right Arrow to select the outside of the surface (otherwise it will just cut the surface into the shape you already had and make you punch your monitor). This gives you a feature part and a mold part. Simple but the other way is more powerful. 

Message 7 of 18
TheCADWhisperer

Are you using Inventor Professional?

Go to File>New and see if you have a template for Mold Design (I don't recall what release this was added to Inventor).

The Mold Design tools in Inventor put SolidWorks mold tools to shame.

Mold Design.png

Message 8 of 18
Googer24

I have been following the link on Derive Part.  I created the assembly and am at the part that says "click derive part tools"  I have yet to find the tool.  I am still looking. Even watching a few videos on youtube  I am going to keep trying.  Anyone that can point me to the tool would be great. 

Message 9 of 18
kpyoung333

That tool in the the Part environment, not the Assembly environment. In Assembly you have to Component > Create (doing this from the assembly level should create a grounded part, you can do this also by creating a normal part but then have to insert it and constrain in the assembly) and in the created part it will be under the tab Create > Derive.

Message 10 of 18
Googer24
in reply to: kpyoung333

Thanks guys,  I think We got it.  The Die block I made was black and the fish fillet was a custom fish color for the "as material"  I am attaching a picture.  Its weird that the mold that is cut down or deleted from the die block is still the fish color.  It does look like it took it all out though. Thanks again everyone.

Test Die APTF.jpg

Message 11 of 18
kpyoung333

6IGnNHz.gif

Good job, probably just select the sculpt feature and change the color. Now we just have so many questions about this fish mold haha 

Message 12 of 18
mcgyvr
in reply to: kpyoung333

@kpyoung333 wrote:

Now we just have so many questions about this fish mold haha 

I have now sworn off frozen fish fillets.. The fact that they are stamped like that grosses me out.. 

Unless he works for the company that makes those fake dog do-do novelty items.. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 13 of 18
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: mcgyvr

@mcgyvr wrote:

I have now sworn off frozen fish fillets.. ....

Enjoy your chicken "fillet" or "nuggets" for supper tonight....

Message 14 of 18

@kpyoung333 wrote:

... Now we just have so many questions about this fish mold haha 

@Googer24

I'm just curious too.

Is this used for natural  fillets that are stamped to be shaped and sized for uniformity, and then the trimmings are used to make fish sticks, fish pastries, fish candy, fish sprinkles for ice cream, and other processed fish stuff...

or

are these formed "fillets" actually the trimmings being stamped into fillet like shapes.

Also concerning the colors, you can strip the color overrides from the cut faces so that your entire part is black. I think you can just right click on the feature and choose Properties, and then set the Feature Appearance menu to As Part, but Inventor 2009 might be slightly different.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 15 of 18
mcgyvr

@TheCADWhisperer wrote:

@mcgyvr wrote:

I have now sworn off frozen fish fillets.. ....

Enjoy your chicken "fillet" or "nuggets" for supper tonight....

Smiley Very Happy I swore those off years ago... The "pink goo" that they are made from makes me want to vomit.. 

Message 16 of 18

On the big ships they catch Fish.  They fillet the fish, and put it into a cardboard box 10x19x2.5.  They freeze it in that box.  These boxes of fillets are bought buy a fish company that has our machine.  The will saw these blocks up so that they are left with  a "shim" of fish that is say 5x9.5x.41 thick (depending on the product). They will stack these shims into the magazine of our machine. Our machine uses electric servo motors to take the shims out one at a time and place them in an exact position on a forming press with the die installed. The press is controlled by Servo hydraulics.  It closes and the shim is formed into these shapes.  The Arby's fish sandwich is made on our machine.  It is pure fillet. Nothing added but the breading.  Most places are very sanitary and the fish is not touched by human hands.

I do the PLC programming, servo programming, wiring etc.  I started doing the 3D design of parts and dies about a year ago when the boss and Cad guy had a disagreement.

SHAPEAMATIC 04 HL.jpg

Message 17 of 18

Hi Googer24,

Thanks for the explanation. I kind of get a kick out of that stuff. Currently I'm involved in systems that handle all kinds of food ingredients.

In the past I've worked with customers that make equipment that:

• kills chickens in a very precise way
  • turns onions into breaded onion rings
  • creates livestock salt blocks
  • extrudes pet food and treats ( dogs love Greenies)
  • turns giant piles of brush & lumber waste into mulch
  • extrudes molten glass into florescent light bulbs
  • creates spray bottles of every type
  • tests military auxiliary flight systems
  • etc, etc.

But never a fish shim press!

It's interesting to see "how stuff is made"... I guess somebody should make a television show about that kind of stuff.. don't know what they'd call it though. Smiley Wink

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com
!

Message 18 of 18

I downloaded the trial version of Autodesk Inventor Pro 2017 so that I can try and make these fish shapes to cut into forming dies.  The freeform feature seems great.  My issue is this.  I have read everything I can find and watched videos on youtube all morning before posting here.  I start with usually a hand sketched picture of what they want and maybe a sample of the actual fish fillet.  This particular fillet slopes up to about .75" at the high point down to say .1875" at the smallest end with the little v grove running the length of the fillet.  I've tried a few ways to do it without anything that could be final.  The thing I don't get is how to get the freeform shape to match the spline sketch I made and slope up from there.  Anyone that knows of a good video or can lead me in the right direction would be great.  I have a teamviewer account if your bored and wanna give it a try with me 🙂  Not sure why I can't drag in the sketch picture like the fillet picture. I put it and part file of a quick try I did first as an attachment.  The part file is no good because I just used "fillet" on the edges.  I need it to slop up from the edges of the sketch so it looks like the actual fillet.

Pangia2.jpg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report