Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home page pinned files.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
NigelHay
262 Views, 8 Replies

Home page pinned files.

I opened Inventor this morning & all of the assemblies that I had pinned in the Home screen so that I could find them quickly had become unpinned. I managed to re-pin some that were still in my recents but the rest have gone & I will have to waste time tracking them down & re-pinning them. Why would this happen?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
sundars
in reply to: NigelHay

Hi @NigelHay 

Strange. We have not seen it before. Could you check to see if these files are also unpinned in the MRU list. You can access the MRU using the File menu. Home recent list, feeds off the Inventor's MRU list which in turn depends on windows to manage some of the data.

Some questions:

1. Did you update your installation?

2. Did you pin the files, but perhaps crashed resulting in data not being saved properly? 

3. Could you try reproducing it by pinning/unpinning files from the File menu? rather than from Home?

Thanks

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 3 of 9
NigelHay
in reply to: sundars

Thanks for your reply.

Too late to check the MRU list, I have already re-pinned the assemblies I need. I can tell you that none of the previously pinned files that I have not yet re-pinned are in the MRU list.

The last update was a week or so ago, pinned files were displaying OK until today.

There have been no crashes or unusual shut downs for several weeks.

I can pin/unpin from the file menu.

Message 4 of 9
ampster40

I do not know but is it possible pinned files are related to what project file is active?  If so, is it possible their project file changed to something the OP did not expect?  That happens every now and then to us and others so just curious if the two issues are related.

Message 5 of 9
NigelHay
in reply to: ampster40

We only use 1 project file, used by all 3 Inventor users here. It has not been changed.

Message 6 of 9
ampster40

We use a single project file also but the Default.ipj shows up in the Projects window and that one cannot be deleted.  Every now and then for some reason or another (not by the user), the software decides to switch to the Default.ipj project file and that causes problems of course.  Sort of seems like pinned files on the home page could possible be related to which project file is active.  Nobody here uses the home page so we're not sure.

Message 7 of 9
sundars

The pin/unpin status on File menu MRU list and Home Recents display should be synched up typically. In this particular example, I was trying to ask whether the File MRU List was pinned while Home Page Recent was unpinned which would mean that perhaps they didn't hand-shake properly. Usually a refresh of Home from the QAT menu bar should fix these issues.

Recents only displays the files in that project. Pin is independent of project settings.

Suppose you pin a file which belongs to projectA  and then move the same file to a different location or a different project say projectB, it won't really re-appear on Recents until you actually reopen that file (Files get added to recents only if they are opened).

In this situation you might have 2 files with the same name from two different project showing up on the "Default" project.

So, do you have 2 files with same name in two different projects and then somehow the pinned file was removed but the unpinned file survived in recents? It would be a very unusual case and probably something one would not do. But we have seen duplicate file names in multiple projects and thats not atypical.

-shiva

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development
Message 8 of 9
NigelHay

We don't create different project files for different projects. Because our products are generally variations on a central theme & reuse common parts, this would create too many duplicates.

I can report that today Inventor opened with all of the newly pinned files intact so, hopefully, this problem was a one-time glitch.

Message 9 of 9
sundars

@NigelHay Excellent! If you run into it again please let us know. Thanks.

Shiva Sundaram
Inventor Development

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report