Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holes in cylinder surface (not from a flat plane)

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
NachitoMax
701 Views, 6 Replies

Holes in cylinder surface (not from a flat plane)

Hi

I need to put some holes in a cylinder face but not using the method of a tangent flat surface with a hole as the result is incorrect.

Imagine the panel started out flat and I drilled some holes. Then I rolled the panel to a cylinder. The resulting hole would not be a standard hole as drilled on the cylinder surface as the outside perimeter would differ from the inside perimeter. If I drill a hole on the cylinder surface then try to flatten it out, first I cant flatten it because the hole irregular to the thickness but also, I would get a non circular perimeter.

Sooooo, what's the best way to do it? Is there a magical way to do this on the cylinder surface or am I beat to unfold it, put the holes I'm then refold it?

Thanks

Nacho
Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor automation Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)
Furniture, Sheet Metal, Structural, Metal fab, Tradeshow, Fabrication, CNC

EESignature

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
j.palmeL29YX
in reply to: NachitoMax

What do you have (post an .ipt) and what do you want to get (post a sketched pic of the final model).

Jürgen Palme
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 7
JDMather

@NachitoMax wrote:

Imagine the panel started out flat and I drilled some holes. Then I rolled the panel to a cylinder. ...

1. No need to imagine, you can do it the same way in Inventor.

2. Another alternative might be to project (wrap) circle in 3D sketch to cylindrical surface body, Split and then Thicken.

3. A third alternative might be to Project Flat Pattern, add circle then Cut Across Bend.

What version of Inventor are you using?

If you stated your version or posted an attempt - I could demonstrate all three techniques.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 7
NachitoMax
in reply to: JDMather

Hi

I'm using 2019 at the minute. I'll post an example when I get home, I'm mid travel atm

Thanks 

Nacho
Automation & Design Engineer

Inventor automation Programmer (C#, VB.Net / iLogic)
Furniture, Sheet Metal, Structural, Metal fab, Tradeshow, Fabrication, CNC

EESignature

Message 5 of 7
johnsonshiue

Hi Nigel,

This is a case of competing requirements. Though in reality it is highly doable, on a CAD system like Inventor is an almost impossible task. Essentially, you want the CAD model to behave more like real material. Unfortunately, it does not do that.

I guess you have to pick one requirement and use it as a single source of truth. And, likely you will need more than one part to fulfill other requirements. At the moment, there is no solution to satisfy two requirements within one part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 6 of 7
IgorMir

Helo Nigel;

Here is the thing.

If you need the holes on a rolled part to be true after you rolled the part up - you will have to grab an electrical drill and true them all manually. Wouldn't you not? So, with that in mind, if you want to have your holes true on the roleld part - you need to array the hole again. But that, inevitably - will affect the flat pattern. In such a case - I would use and iPart route. One of the child would represent a complete design (with true holes on the rolled surface) and another one would be used for producing the flat pattern. Alternatively - you can use Derive technique.

Cheers,

Igor.

@NachitoMax wrote:

Hi

I need to put some holes in a cylinder face but not using the method of a tangent flat surface with a hole as the result is incorrect.

Imagine the panel started out flat and I drilled some holes. Then I rolled the panel to a cylinder. The resulting hole would not be a standard hole as drilled on the cylinder surface as the outside perimeter would differ from the inside perimeter. If I drill a hole on the cylinder surface then try to flatten it out, first I cant flatten it because the hole irregular to the thickness but also, I would get a non circular perimeter.

Sooooo, what's the best way to do it? Is there a magical way to do this on the cylinder surface or am I beat to unfold it, put the holes I'm then refold it?

Thanks

Web: www.meqc.com.au
Message 7 of 7
S_May

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report