Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

hole to hole constraint

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
lfoley2
831 Views, 11 Replies

hole to hole constraint

lfoley2_0-1638362149522.png

The axes wont align when I attempt to mate the holes on two seperate parts in the assembly. anybody know what my problem is here?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
andrewiv
in reply to: lfoley2

When you try to apply the constraint, does it complete or does it give you an error?  My guess would be that either the preview isn't working correctly or there is another constraint that conflicts with this one.

Andrew Inā€™t Veld
Designer

Message 3 of 12
mcgyvr

Can you post the ipt and iam file? 

You should be able to just measure and see where the difference in its positioning lies with respect to each other. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 4 of 12
chenj

From your picture, the holes on your two parts, one of which is perpendicular to the rotation axis, and the other is perpendicular to the inclined plane?

陈偄
www.huanjinsoft.com

EESignature

Message 5 of 12
lfoley2
in reply to: andrewiv

It gives an error

Message 6 of 12
andrewiv

If the part is free to rotate then I suspect that both holes are not perpendicular to the center axis as @chenj mentioned.  If it is not free to rotate then there is another constraint that is holding the part at an angle.

If the holes are not perpendicular to the center axis and this is what you want, then you will have to create a work point on one of the parts and mate the axis of the other hole to this work point.

If you attach the parts and assembly then we could probably get to the bottom of this quicker.  Also, what version of Inventor are you running?

Andrew Inā€™t Veld
Designer

Message 7 of 12
lfoley2
in reply to: mcgyvr

Yes the related files are below

Message 8 of 12
lfoley2

yes okay i will have  a look at it and i attached the files below

Message 9 of 12
lfoley2

The version is Inventor 2020

Message 10 of 12
SBix26

Hole4 in Marafind housing part 2.ipt is not axially oriented to the part, because its sketch is located on Work Plane 8, which is tangential to the face, but not at the hole location.  If you want the hole centered under the square opening, then you will have to redefine Work Plane 8 to be tangential at that location.

I'll attach a different method to make that hole in a few minutes.

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H1
LinkedIn
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Message 11 of 12
Gabriel_Watson

I just redefined the constraint with an insert (which can also be locked to avoid rotation if you'd like):

42.JPG

Message 12 of 12
SBix26

Here's my edited version (2020 format) that just deals with the hole alignment issue.  There are a number of other issues that need to be addressed, too, starting with Sketch1.  Also, the same hole alignment problem occurs in the mating part, so fixing it in this part is only fixing half the problem.

Seems as if you could use some training-- would you like for someone here to coach you through creating these two parts using better modeling practices?

Sam B
Inventor Pro 2022.2 | Windows 10 Home 21H1
LinkedIn
autodesk-expert-elite-member-logo-1line-rgb-black.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report