Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hole / Thread Note ISO standard

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
1493 Views, 3 Replies

Hole / Thread Note ISO standard

Hello,

On what ISO standard the Hole / Threaded Notes are based on?

I would like to modify the notes but stil comply to ISO standard.

For example I'm interested on DEPTH, COUNTERBORE and COUNTERSINK as introdused first time in (ANSI/ASME Y14.5M)  but I don't know under witch ISO they were accepted.

1 (2).jpg

2 (2).jpg

kelly.young has embedded your images for clarity.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
andrew_faix
in reply to: Anonymous

The default 3DA Hole Note for the ISO standard uses the same settings from the Default ISO Dimension style we ship with drawings (and hasn't changed in quite a few releases).

The ISO Standard the covers hole notes is ISO15786, though it's the first edition is 2018 and I don't know offhand which legacy ISO standard it supersedes *if any).  Looking at 15786, our current settings don't seem to be compliant.  We're going through a general standards compliance audit right now to identify where we can make changes to be compliant with the latest versions of these standards.

You can certainly modify these settings to meet your needs whether driven by this latest standard or not.  Make sure you project settings enable Read/Write for your Styles Library.  Then, access Styles Editor from a drawing, change the filter in the upper right-hand corner to "All Styles", then look for the "Default (ISO) - 3DA" style and make your changes on the Notes and Leaders tab, then save those changes back to the Styles library.  This should update the Hole Note formatting when ISO is your active 3DA standard.

-Andrew Faix
Principal Experience Designer
Autodesk, INC
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: andrew_faix

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

The first version of ISO 15786 is 2008. So I will try to make notes to match those informations.

Message 4 of 4
freesbee
in reply to: andrew_faix

Hi Andrew!

I noticed that the topic is escalating a little bit.

As @dan_szymanski and Shiva probably told you already, I have been dealing with this specific topic for a while, and I can confirm you that inventor cannot fulfill all basic requirements of ISO 15786 (which has been first issued in 2008). Even thou the default settings that you ship with the application are far away to be ISO compliant, it is possible to put together a hole notation concept that goes very close to what the ISO requires.

The two limitations that currently prevent to get to the goal are documented here:

I attached the final draft of the ISO 15786:2008 to both ideas (the 2008 issue has been confirmed in 2012 and is still current, so I cannot imagine that there are many differences from that draft).

To keep ideas simple and readable, I avoided to attach a much more complex document that I sent previously to Shiva (and to you I think): that document demonstrates 3 main aspects:

1. the ISO 15786 is anyway not unambiguous itself (in a very dangerous way in some points)
  2. in certain aspects inventor is already much more capable than what the ISO 15786 requires
  3. in other aspects inventor cannot fulfill all basic requirements of ISO 15786

Therefore if the two current limitations would be addressed, a concept where an unambiguous simplified holes notation would be possible, at least on the vast majority of the 54 different hole types that inventor can model. If you wish to have more information on this topic feel free to contact me.

Regards

Massimo Frison
CAD R&D // PDM Admin · Hekuma GmbH

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report